Whipped cream cheese frosting is light, fluffy, and has a bite to it. It is delicious on cakes, cupcakes, or even as a fruit dip. You can’t beat it.
Easy Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
If you love a thick and creamy frosting that is both sweet and tangy, this whipped cream frosting is for you. You won’t believe how easy it is to whip up a batch of this frosting and use it on cupcakes, cakes, or as a delicious fruit dip.
Why you’ll love it!
- There are only 5 ingredients for this whipped cream cheese frosting.
- This whipped cream frosting pipes well on cupcakes and cakes.
- You can make this frosting a day before needing to use it.
- It is DELICIOUS.
- Cream cheese: be sure to use full fat cream cheese.
- Unsalted butter: we like to use unsalted butter so we can control how much salt goes into a frosting.
- Powdered sugar: don’t mix this up with granulated sugar!
- Vanilla extract: love adding a hint of vanilla to all frosting.
- Milk: we use a bit of milk to thin out the frosting. If your frosting is too thick feel free to add a bit more milk.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to soften cream cheese to the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
How to Make Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add the softened cream cheese and butter to a bowl and use a hand mixer to mix until it is combined and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and a bit of powdered sugar at a time to the creamed mixture and mix until creamy. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time until you have used it all or the frosting is thick and creamy.
- Finally, add the milk to thin out the frosting and mix until it thick.
here’s a tip
If your frosting is too thick, add a teaspoon of milk at a time until it reaches desired consistency. If your frosting is too thin, add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar at at time until it thickens.
What to Use it On
Cupcakes: whipped cream cheese frosting is delicious on any and all cupcakes. Try it on:
Cakes: this frosting will frost cakes, pound cakes, layer cakes, and more. Try this frosting on:
Cinnamon Rolls: try this classic cream cheese frosting on Fit Foodie Finds’ (our sister site!) Maple Cinnamon Rolls.
We suggest only using a block of cream cheese for this recipe.
This icing will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator. It will thicken over time so you will have to re-whip the frosting and add a few teaspoons of milk.
It becomes light, fluffy, and delicious.
Transfer whipped cream cheese frosting into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To reuse: as your frosting sits in the fridge, it is going to thicken. Let your frosting sit on the countertop for 30 minutes to an hour before using it again. Make sure to give it a good stir before piping or frosting.
Still too thick? Add a teaspoon of milk at a time and stir until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Place the cream cheese and butter into a medium-sized bowl and whip together on medium/high using a hand mixer — about 2 minutes.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix for another 1-2 minutes.
- Finally add in 1 tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too thick, add more milky the tablespoon until this desired consistency is reached.