While there are many variations of Better Than Sex Cake out there, this easy recipe definitely takes the cake! This rich chocolate cake is made incredibly moist with sour cream and is infused with espresso for a decadent coffee flavor.
But what’s really gonna make your eyes roll back in pleasure is the rich caramel sauce that oozes out with every bite. Top it with cream cheese frosting and crunchy Heath bars, and you’ve got a dessert that truly lives up to its name!
Just like doing the deed, this cake is not for the faint of heart. I love whipping up this delicious cake to impress my friends and family or as a treat for myself when I need a serious pick-me-up.
Simply mix your wet and dry ingredients and bake. Then, poke some holes in your cake, pour over the caramel sauce, and add your desired toppings. Delish.
What’s In Better Than Sex Cake
- Cocoa powder: This is a simple chocolate cake, so cocoa powder is really going to give you the depth of chocolate flavor you want.
- Instant espresso powder: Adding a touch of espresso powder to this cake elevates the chocolate flavor and gives it a richer, more complex taste.
- Sour cream: The secret ingredient to making this an ultra-moist chocolate cake.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Condensed milk is the base of our delicious caramel sauce that takes this cake to the next level.
- Caramel sauce: Moist chocolate cake + sweet caramel sauce = pure heaven!
- Cream cheese: For the ultimate decadent topping, you’ll need some softened cream cheese to make the frosting.
- Hershey’s Heath milk chocolate toffee bits: We used pieces of toffee candy bars to add a little crunch and extra sweetness to this cake.
What You’ll Need to Make It
- 9×13-inch cake pan: Make sure you use a 9×13-inch pan, or your cake may overflow.
- Hand mixer: A hand mixer or stand mixer is needed to make the delicious whipped topping for this delicious chocolate cake recipe.
This BTS cake is a delicious dessert, no matter which way you spin it. Ultimately, what is considered “better than sex” is totally subjective!
For instance, if you prefer a bit more of a salty caramel, you can always add some flaky sea salt to the top. If you’re a chocoholic, swap the caramel sauce for chocolate sauce for an even richer flavor.
For my adventurous friends, you can even try adding a layer of peanut butter or Nutella in between the cake and frosting for an extra indulgent treat.
Top Tips for Better Than Sex Cake Recipe
Make the cake a day ahead of time to save on time: Just wait to frost until you are ready to serve! The flavors have a chance to meld together, making it even more delicious!
Bring your ingredients to room temperature: This helps ensure everything mixes together smoothly and evenly.
Avoid over-baking the cake: This cake is best served moist, so keep an eye on it while baking to prevent it from drying out. You’ll know it’s ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to soften cream cheese to the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
Storing + Freezing Your Finished Cake
Your leftover better than sex cake can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure to let it come back to room temperature before serving.
We recommend freezing any leftover cake without the cream cheese frosting, but if you already added your toppings, it should still freeze okay. Store for up to 3 months and thaw in the fridge before serving.
More of Our Favorite Irresistible Desserts
If you love cream cheese in your desserts just like we do, you’ll be drooling over these outstanding cream cheese dessert recipes! Here are some of our favorites that are the ultimate indulgence:
- Apple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Milkshake
- Churro Cheesecake
- Lemon Cream Cheese Bars
Better Than Sex Cake Recipe
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup caramel sauce ~4oz
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz. Hershey’s Heath milk chocolate toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line a 9×13-inch cake pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until combined and smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a knife or the pointed end of a spatula and cut slits or poke holes into the cake.
- Drizzle the sauce over the cake and set aside. Allow to cool completely. About 2-3 hours.
- Make the frosting. Add the cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix until smooth and stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the cake, spread the frosting evenly over the cake and top with the chocolate toffee bits.
- Slice and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make the cake a day ahead of time to save on time. Wait to frost until you are ready to serve.