This pizza quesadilla recipe is the best of two worlds; quesadilla and pizza. We stuff these quesadillas with sauce, mozzarella cheese, sausage, and pepperoni. They are a family favorite.
Cheesy Pizza Quesadilla
It is no secret that this recipe is the love child of two of the most beloved easy dinners; pizza and quesadillas. You can’t go wrong by adding more of your favorite pizza toppings rather than just we add to ours.
Why you’ll love it!
- These pizza quesadillas are little pockets of all of your favorite pizza toppings with less mess.
- You can make these pizza quesadillas and freeze them for later.
- Make these pizza quesadillas your own by adding your favorite pizza fixings.
- These are an easy weeknight dinner for everyone.
Burrito sized tortillas– you want the big burrito sied tortillas for this recipe. They are big enough to hold and support all of the delicious pizza filling.
Pizza sauce: feel free to use your favorite store bought pizza sauce or make your own.
Pepperoni + sausage: does it get more classic than a pepperoni and sausage? Choose your favorite type of sausage and pepperoni.
Mozzarella cheese: Add shredded mozzarella to your tortilla before heating it up to prep for that delicious cheese pull after your first bite.
How to Make a Pizza Quesadilla
Build your Quesadilla
First, build your quesadilla by laying 1 tortilla onto the table and spread ¼ cup of pizza sauce covering all of the tortilla. Leave a ¼ inch border all the way around.
Next, sprinkle the cheese over the sauce along with the Italian sausage and pepperoni.
Toast it up
Place a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread the oil around the bottom of the skillet. Place the open quesadilla into the skillet and cook for 1 minute. After one minute fold the quesadilla with a spatula and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Top your quesadilla with fresh basil or even more cheese!
Pro Tip: If you want to elevate this recipe, add more cheese to the top of every quesadilla and place them under the broiler in your oven to crip them up.
Top Tips for a Delicious Pizza Quesadilla
We always recommend freshly shredding your cheese over purchasing pre-shredded!
You can use any variety of shredded meat instead of pepperoni or sausage for this recipe. Shredded chicken, pork, or beef would also be delish!
We used burrito flour tortillas but large burrito tortillas or medium sized tortillas will work, too. They will just yield smaller quesadillas.
Applebees Quesadilla Burger
If you want to take your quesadilla game up a notch, give this Copycat Applebees Quesadilla Burger recipe a try next!
Pizza quesadillas can easily be frozen.
Let your pizza quesadilla cool completely. Then, wrap it with tin foil. Remove as much air as possible and seal tightly. Store in the freeze for up to 3 months.
The cheese in the middle of a quesadilla is what allows it to stay together. Be sure you leave the quesadilla over the heat long enough for the cheese to melt and seal the quesadilla together.
Any of your favorite pizza toppings can be added to this quesadilla. Black olives, sliced green peppers, onions, parmesan cheese, and more.
Store these quesadillas in an airtight container after they have cooled for up to 3 days.
Reheat: to reheat these quesadillas place them in the microwave for 30 seconds, in the toaster, or under the broiler for a few minutes.
How to Grate Cheese
Whether you have a box grater at home or find yourself in need of grated cheese and no grater, we’ve got you covered on how to grate cheese without a cheese grater!
- Let your pizza quesadilla cool completely.
- Then, wrap it with tin foil.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal tightly. Store in the freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4 large tortillas burrito size
- 8 oz. pizza sauce ~1 cup
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese ~2 cups
- 8 oz. cooked Italian sausage
- 4 oz. pepperoni
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Assemble the quesadilla by laying 1 tortilla onto the table and spread ¼ cup of pizza sauce covering all of the tortilla. Leave a ¼ inch border all the way around.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese on top of the pizza sauce.
- Next, add ¼ cup of the Italian sausage and ¼ of the pepperoni to the tortilla and evenly spread them over the cheese.
- Place a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread the oil around the bottom of the skillet.
- Place the open quesadilla into the skillet and cook for 1 minute. After one minute fold the quesadilla with a spatula and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Continue until all of the quesadillas have been made.
Tips & Notes
- Add in any of your favorite pizza toppings.