Welcome to the easiest way to serve grilled cheese to a group! This Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese recipe allows you to make multiple grilled cheese sammies in your oven all at once. Enjoy!
Why Make Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese?
This is hands down the easiest way to make multiple grilled cheese sandwiches at the same time! Simply prepare your sammies and bake in your oven, flipping halfway through. In 10 minutes you’ll have ooey gooey, golden brown grilled cheese sandwiches ready to serve.
What You Need for Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese
- Bread: Any kind of bread works for this sheet pan grilled cheese, but we love a pre-sliced loaf of sourdough.
- Cheddar or American cheese: Use your favorite sliced cheddar or even Kraft singles!
- Salted butter: Butter is used for toasting and flavor. Don’t skimp!
- Mayonnaise: This is optional! But we love the flavor of a thin layer of mayo in a grilled cheese.
TYPES OF BREAD TO USE
Don’t have a sliced loaf of sourdough? Any kind of bread works. Here are some ideas:
- Italian bread
- White bread
- Whole grain bread
- Gluten-free bread
Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese
The most popular kind of cheese to use for grilled cheese is sliced American cheese (hello Kraft Singles!) or cheddar cheese. Our favorite cheese for this recipe is Tillamook’s medium-cut orange cheddar. It’s not too sharp and it’s thick and creamy.
If you’re a grilled cheese lover, you know the cheese can make or break the sammie, so feel free to get creative and make it your own! We prefer our cheese pre-sliced because it’s super simple, but you can always slice or shred block cheese, too. Here are more cheese options to try:
- White cheddar
- Pepper jack
- Colby jack
- Or a combo of any of these!
How to Make Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese
This sheet pan grilled cheese could not be easier! Follow these simple steps to cheesy perfection:
Preheat & Prep
Preheat the oven to 400ºF, and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Assemble Grilled Cheese
Next, spread 1 teaspoon of softened butter on the outside of two pieces of bread (1/2 teaspoon on each bread slice), and 1/2 teaspoon of mayo on the inside of two pieces of bread (1/4 teaspoon on each bread slice).
Place two pieces of cheese on top of one piece of bread and top the cheese mayo side down with the other slice of bread and place the grilled cheese on the baking sheet. Repeat these steps until all bread and cheese are assembled.
Bake Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the grilled cheeses for 5 minutes. Flip the sammies, and bake the grilled cheeses for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
Remove from the oven, slice and ENJOY!
Stove Top Grilled Cheese
Looking to skip the sheet pan and just make a good ol’ fashioned grilled cheese on the stove top? Hop on over to our Perfect Grilled Cheese Recipe — you’re 10 minutes away from enjoying a grilled cheese sammie.
Can You Double this Recipe?
Absolutely! With a large baking sheet, you can easily double or triple this recipe to serve more people. Similarly, you can also make a solo sheet pan grilled cheese to serve just one.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
There is nothing better than grilled cheese and tomato soup! Speaking of soup, any kind of soup is delightful served next to a grilled cheese. Here are some other serving suggestions to turn your grilled cheese into a complete meal:
- Grilled or roasted veggies
- Field greens or a veggie-packed salad
- Chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 8 slices white bread (we used sourdough)
- 8 slices mild cheddar cheese or American cheese
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, spread 1 teaspoon of butter on the outside of two pieces of bread (1/2 teaspoon on each bread slice) and 1/2 teaspoon of mayo on the inside of two pieces of bread (1/4 teaspoon on each bread slice).
- Place two pieces of cheese on top of one piece of bread and top the cheese mayo side down with the other slice of bread and place the grilled cheese on the baking sheet. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all bread and cheese are gone / all sandwiches are assembled.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the grilled cheeses for 5 minutes. Flip and bake the grilled cheeses for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, and enjoy!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 429 Sugar: 7 Sodium: 294 Fat: 19 Carbohydrates: 46 Fiber: 2 Protein: 16 Cholesterol: 43
Keywords: sheet pan grilled cheese