Say hello to this creamy, cheesy white cheddar mac and cheese! This delicious mac and cheese recipe is made on the stovetop with 3 whole cups of white cheddar.
Favorite White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
We are big mac and cheese people over here at The Cheese Knees. I mean, it’s all in the name.
White cheddar mac and cheese has been my all-time favorite mac and cheese since I was a kid. Kraft White Cheddar is my jam and it’s what my parents bought growing up.
Today we are making the best homemade white cheddar mac and cheese recipe and you’re absolutely going to love it.
Why make this mac and cheese?
- 8-Ingredients: to make this white cheddar mac and cheese all you need is 8 simple ingredients you probably already have.
- Extra cheesy: we aren’t skimping on the cheese here, people. You need 3 full cups of shredded white cheddar.
- Better than boxed: homemade mac and cheese is so much better than boxed mac and cheese!
What You Need
Shells: we used medium shells for this recipe, but feel free to use any kind of shell or any kind of noodle for that matter.
Sea Salt: sea salt is used to salt the water for boiling the shells. Don’t skip this part. Salted noodles are delicious.
Unsalted Butter: every delicious cheese sauce begins with butter. All the butter.
Flour: Flour is used to help create the roux. You can use either all-purpose flour or white whole wheat.
2% Milk: milk is used to help make the white cheddar cheese sauce super duper creamy.
White Cheddar Cheese: shredded white cheddar cheese is the star of the show! Feel free to shred your own or use pre-shredded.
Salt: always salt your mac and cheese to taste.
Garlic Powder: a little garlic powder will make this white cheddar mac and cheese recipe extra savory.
How to Grate Cheese
Whether you have a box grater at home or find yourself in need of grated cheese and no grater, we’ve got you covered on how to grate cheese without a cheese grater!
How to Make White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
First, bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Then, add the shell noodles and let noodles cook until al dente.
Once cooked, drain pasta and set aside.
We recommend following the directions on your pasta box.
Add butter to a large stock pot and heat over medium/high heat. Once melted, add flour and whisk to form a crumble.
Slowly add in milk and continuously whisk until thickened. This will take around 4-6 minutes.
Add White Cheddar Cheese
Remove the roux from the heat and then add in the white cheddar cheese. Whisk the cheese into the hot roux until it has melted.
Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and whisk again.
Finally, toss in the cooked noodles and mix to combine until all noodles are coated.
Let mac and cheese cool completely. Then, transfer into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze mac and cheese?
We unfortunately don’t recommend freezing mac and cheese. Both noodles and dairy don’t do too well when thawing and reheating.
- 1-lb. small or medium pasta shells
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the uncooked shells and salt to the water and stir.
- Let pasta cook until al dente. Strain noodles and set aside.
- Next, prepare a roux by heating a large pot or Dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add butter.
- When the butter is melted add flour and whisk until the butter and flour form a crumble.
- Slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat for about 4-6 minutes or until the roux thickens.
- When the roux is thick, remove from heat and add the cheddar cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted.
- Add granulated garlic, salt, and pepper to the cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Finally, add the cooked shells to the cheese sauce and mix until the noodles are covered in cheese sauce.
- Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 639 Sugar: 9 Fat: 29 Carbohydrates: 67 Fiber: 3 Protein: 28
Keywords: white cheddar mac and cheese