A bowl of this cauliflower mac and cheese is the perfect combination of mac and cheese and cheesy cauliflower. Enjoy as a side or a cheesy main!
The BEST Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
We are big mac and cheese people over here at The Cheese Knees, but this is our very first CAULIFLOWER mac and cheese. It’s everything you love about mac and cheese and cheesy roasted cauliflower together at last!
why you’ll love it!
Extra cheesy: we aren’t skimping on the cheese here, people. You need about 8 oz. of shredded cheddar.
Unique twist on classic mac and cheese: is it cheesy cauliflower? Is it mac and cheese? Is it the best of both worlds?!
Family friendly: the whole dang fam will enjoy this cauliflower mac and cheese served as a main dish or a side to any meal.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- Chopped cauliflower: you’ll need about 2 heads of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces that we’re using instead of pasta for this mac and cheese! It will be tossed in olive oil and seasoned with dried thyme and paprika before roasting.
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese: shredded cheddar cheese is the star of the show! Feel free to shred your own or use pre-shredded.
- Heavy cream: heavy cream is used to help make this cauliflower mac and cheese super duper creamy.
- Salt & pepper: every mac and cheese needs a little s&p and this cauliflower mac and cheese is no exception!
Best Ever Mac and Cheese
If you love this cauliflower mac and cheese, you have to try our 5-star best ever mac and cheese recipe!
How to Make Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Prepare Cauliflower for Roasting
Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, and then season with salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika. Use your hands to massage all of the seasonings into the cauliflower, and then roast at 425℉ for 15 minutes.
Prepare Cheese Sauce
Add the heavy cream to a saucepan and heat over low/medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes stirring consistently until simmering, and then add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
Combine Cheese Sauce & Cauliflower
Remove from the heat and add the roasted cauliflower and remaining salt. Mix to combine everything together, and serve immediately.
don’t have shredded cheese?
Don’t have shredded cheese, but have a block of cheese? Check out our post on how to grate cheese WITHOUT a cheese grater!
Top Tips for Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Season to your liking: Any seasoning can be used on the cauliflower! Your favorites can be subbed for equal amounts for the thyme and paprika.
Jazz up the toppings: Add any of your mac and cheese favorites to jazz this up. Sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, and spinach would all be great additions. Yum!
There are 13g of carbs per serving in our cauliflower mac and cheese.
Overcooked cauliflower releases water, and will cause your cauliflower mac and cheese to become watery. To avoid this, only roast your cauliflower for 15 minutes.
Store leftover cauliflower mac and cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425℉.
- Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season the cauliflower with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika onto a baking sheet. Use your hands to massage all of the seasonings into the cauliflower until the cauliflower is coated. Place the cauliflower in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Next, make the cheese sauce. Add the heavy cream to a saucepan and heat over low/medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes stirring consistently until simmering (not boiling) and then add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir. Heat until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the roasted cauliflower and remaining salt. Mix to combine everything together.
- Serve immediately.