Looking for a classic cheddar cheese sauce recipe? This cheese sauce is perfect for dipping chips, topping veggies, or mixing with noodles. It’s truly an all-purpose sauce.
The Perfect Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Having the perfect cheddar cheese sauce in your back pocket at all times is an A+ idea. I mean, just think of all the times you needed a cheese sauce to mix with noodles or top your steamed veggies with!
We have a handful of amazing cheese sauces on Cheese Knees (hello Velveeta cheese sauce, mac and cheese sauce, and cheese fondue). This white cheddar cheese sauce is as basic as it gets and is so easy to make with a roux, milk, and shredded cheese.
Why you’ll love it!
- Easy to make
- Perfect staple!
Ingredients for Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- Butter: butter is used as part of the roux.
- Flour: flour is used to thicken the roux.
- Milk: milk is used to thin the roux out and create your sauce.
- White cheddar cheese: we’re choosing to use sharp white cheddar cheese in this recipe.
- Spices: you need granulated garlic and salt for this recipe.
- Hot sauce: this is optional, but it really does up the anty with this cheese sauce recipe!
Other cheese options
Really any kind of freshly shredded cheddar cheese will work. Any blend will do too! The key is –> freshly shredded!
- Yellow/orange cheddar cheese
- Pepper Jack cheese
- Colby Jack cheese
Cheddar Cheese Recipes
Looking for more recipes with cheddar cheese? Check out our cheesy collection of cheddar cheese recipes.
Don’t skip the roux: a butter + flour roux is what gives you that thick and creamy texture for this cheddar cheese sauce recipe. Don’t skip this!
Use freshly shredded cheese: when in doubt, use freshly grated cheese. It is so much creamier than pre-shredded because it doesn’t have any additives.
Use a sharp cheddar: a sharper cheddar cheese will give you a stronger cheese flavor.
Make Mac and Cheese: toss your cheese sauce with 8-oz. cooked noodles for a quick mac and cheese sauce.
Serve with Veggies: steam your favorite veggies such as broccoli or cauliflower and then top it with this cheddar cheese sauce!
Use as a Dip: Use this sauce as a dip for raw veggies, chips, etc.
Mac and Cheese
Say hello to this creamy, cheesy white cheddar mac and cheese! This delicious mac and cheese recipe is made on the stovetop with 3 whole cups of white cheddar.
If you have leftover cheddar cheese sauce, transfer it into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, you may need to add a splash of milk to thin things out. Then, you can reheat right on your stovetop over medium/low heat.
Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 8 oz. white cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Prepare the cheese sauce by heating a saucepan over medium/high heat. Add butter.
- When the butter is melted add flour and whisk until the butter and flour form a paste. Allow the butter and flour to cook for about one minute.
- Slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat for about 4-6 minutes or until the roux thickens.
- When the roux is thick, remove from heat and add the cheddar cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted.
- Add granulated garlic, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Drizzle the cheese sauce over cooked vegetables, use as a dip, etc.
Tips & Notes
- We recommend purchasing a block of shredded cheddar cheese and shredding it freshly for best results.
- We used 2% milk, but 1% milk or whole milk will work too.
- To make mac and cheese, mix with around 8-oz. cooked macaroni noodles.