Our Ultimate Velveeta Cheese Sauce is oh so creamy and flavorful and made with easy ingredients. Pair with your favorite pasta, and enjoy!
Our Go-To Velveeta Cheese Sauce
Bookmark this, cheese lovers! Our Velveeta cheese sauce truly is Velveeta perfection.
Not only is it made extra cheesy with help from Velveeta (of course!), seasoned perfectly with simple spices, and an easy roux. Let’s make it together, shall we?!
WHAT IS VELVEETA CHEESE?
Velveeta cheese is an American cheese product made from milk, whey, and whey concentrate. It’s most commonly used as a sauce for mac and cheese.
Why Does It Make a Good Cheese Sauce?
Velveeta cheese makes a great base for cheese sauce because of its amazing meltability. This Velveeta cheese sauce is creamy and never clumpy 😀
Ultimate Velveeta Sauce with Simple Ingredients
Our homemade Velveeta cheese sauce comes together in a few ingredients! You’ll need:
- Unsalted butter: butter is used as the fat for the roux.
- All-purpose flour: all-purpose flour is what’s used to create the roux. You can swap this for white whole wheat or 1:1 GF all-purpose flour if you wish.
- 2% milk: we used 2% milk, but any milk will work.
- Velveeta cheese: can’t have a Velveeta cheese sauce without Velveeta!
- Spices: to give this Velveeta cheese sauce some oomph, we used salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.
- Hot sauce: we love adding a little vinegar-based hot sauce to our Velveeta cheese sauce for a kick.
Mac & Cheese
Take this Ultimate Velveeta Cheese Sauce and make our Simple Velveeta Mac and Cheese for dinner tonight.
How to Make Velveeta Cheese Sauce
This Velveeta cheese sauce is made in 5 easy steps. All you need are the ingredients above and 15 minutes of your day. Here’s how you make it:
Prepare a roux
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium/high heat, and add butter. When the butter is melted, add flour and whisk until the butter and flour form a crumble or paste.
Whisk in milk
Slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat until the roux thickens.
Remove from heat + add velveeta
When the roux is thick, remove from heat and add the Velveeta, and whisk until the cheese has melted.
Add granulated garlic, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to the cheese sauce and mix well.
Serve & enjoy!
Serve the velveeta cheese sauce with tortilla chips, vegetables, or cooked pasta.
Velveeta Cheese Sauce Q&A
The best way to turn Velveeta cheese into a mac and cheese sauce is to create a roux and then melt the Velveeta cheese in the roux.
Velveeta cheese is a processed cheese product and is made primarily from milk, whey, and whey protein concentrate. HERE is more information about Velveeta cheese.
If you are making a homemade Velveeta cheese sauce then yes, it will likely need milk. If you’re using boxed Velveeta mac and cheese then you do not need milk.
How to Serve Velveeta Cheese Sauce
Love this Velveeta sauce and want to mix things up? Here are some ideas on how to repurpose this sauce for something other than our Velveeta mac and cheese:
Use on Any Noodle: all out of macaroni noodles? You can literally use 1 lb. of any noodle under the sun!
Nachos: we love using this sauce on top of nachos. Think – loaded nachos with all the fixings + this Velveeta cheese sauce.
Burgers & Sandwiches: how good would this Velveeta cheese sauce be on top of a burger or sandwich?! I’m drooling.
Chili Mac and Cheese: mix this cheese sauce with 1 lb. of noodles and a batch of homemade beef chili for some chili mac! Check out our sister site’s Chili Mac and Cheese recipe!
Dip: when I dip you dip we dip. Grab your favorite tortilla chip and dip away!
Storing Velveeta Cheese Sauce
Let your Velveeta sauce cool completely. Then, transfer it into an airtight container and seal. Store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
To reheat: Transfer chilled Velveeta sauce into a large frying pan. Add a few tablespoons of milk and reheat over medium/low heat until warm. Reheating this Velveeta cheese sauce low and slow will help prevent any changes in texture as you reheat.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 12-oz Velveeta cheese, chopped into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 12-oz. Pasta, if serving with pasta
- First, prepare a roux by heating a large pot or Dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add butter. When the butter is melted, add flour and whisk until the butter and flour form a crumble or paste.
- Slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat for about 4-6 minutes or until the roux thickens.
- When the roux is thick, remove from heat and add the Velveeta. Whisk until the Velveeta cheese has melted.
- Add granulated garlic, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Serve the Velveeta cheese sauce with tortilla chips, vegetables, or cooked pasta.
Tips & Notes
- This Velveeta cheese sauce is meant to me mixed with 12 – 16-oz. of dried pasta or used as a dipping sauce for vegetables or chips.
- Nutrition information does not include pasta.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 251 Sugar: 8 Sodium: 1057 Fat: 15 Carbohydrates: 14 Fiber: 0 Protein: 11 Cholesterol: 52
Keywords: velveeta cheese sauce