Cheeseburger casserole is a dream dinner! This cheesy casserole is packed with noodles, ground beef, tomato, and cheddar cheese. It’s truly a cheeseburger in casserole form.
Cheeseburger Casserole = BEST Casserole
When in doubt, get the burger he said! At least, that’s my husband’s motto. This cheeseburger casserole is everything you’ve ever wanted in a cheeseburger and MORE!
Why you ask? Well, because it has noodles! Casseroles are truly the best meal and for so many reasons.
This cheeseburger casserole recipe is made with ground beef, noodles, diced tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. Keep reading to learn how to make it!
What You Need
Basic ingredients, but big flavor! Here’s what you need for this cheeseburger casserole recipe:
- Macaroni noodles – any kind of noodles work, but elbows are classic.
- Ground beef – want a leaner meat? Try ground chicken or turkey.
- Tomato sauce – this gets you your glorious ketchup flavor!
- Diced tomatoes – adds a veg plus great texture.
- Beef broth – the beef broth adds soooo much depth. If you don’t have it, feel free to use chicken or vegetable.
- Worcestershire sauce – Don’t skip this part! It adds that zing you get in most burgers.
- Tomato paste
- Shredded cheddar cheese – it wouldn’t be a cheeseburger casserole without the CHEESE. Feel free to use any kind of shredded cheese.
How to Make Cheeseburger Casserole (step by step)
Partially Cook Noodles
Step 1 in making your cheeseburger casserole is partially cooking your noodles. I stress partially because your noodles will continue to cook once you place the casserole into the oven, so you do NOT want to fully cook them.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni noodles and let them cook for 4-6 minutes. The noodles should be slightly less cooked than al dente.
Next, it’s time to cook up your ground beef, often referred to as hamburger.
Cook ground beef, onion, garlic, and salt over medium/high heat for about 5 minutes. There will probably be some pink spots left in your meat, but no worries! It will continue to cook in the oven.
Add the noodles, beef mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, chili powder, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese to the casserole dish and mix until combined.
Bake cheesy hamburger casserole at 375ºF, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Then, remove from oven, sprinkle on a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese, and bake again for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Have fun with your cheeseburger casserole toppings! We kept things simple with green onion, but here are more ideas:
- sour cream/Greek yogurt
- hot sauce
- shredded lettuce
Can you freeze cheeseburger casserole?
Oh the burning question of: can you freeze this casserole? Most of the time, we’d say HECK YES! However, we don’t ever suggest freezing a recipe that involves noodles.
Unfortunately, they don’t hold up too well when thawing and reheating,
Store cheeseburger casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- 16–0z. macaroni noodles
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- optional topping: diced green onions
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni noodles and let them cook for 4-6 minutes. The noodles should be slightly under cooked because they will be baked in the oven for 20 more minutes.
- Strain the water from the noodles and set noodles aside.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add ground beef.
- Cook the ground beef for 2-3 minutes and then add the onion, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add the noodles, beef mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, chili powder, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese to the casserole dish and mix until combined.
- Place the casserole dish into the oven, uncovered, and bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the last cup of cheddar cheese on top of the casserole.
- Place back into the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 514 Sugar: 5 Fat: 23 Carbohydrates: 50 Fiber: 3 Protein: 27
Keywords: cheeseburger casserole