Let’s make walking tacos! Our easy walking taco recipe is packed with all your favorite taco fixings. Serve these for a crowd!
The BEST Walking Taco Recipe
Let’s make one of our favorite recipes to serve a crowd! Walking tacos! Our easy walking taco recipe serves 12 and packs all your favorite taco fixins’. Bring this recipe to the ball park for a little league game or serve as an easy backyard BBQ side. The options are endless!
A walking taco is a taco completely inside a bag of chips. It’s typically assembled and then eaten right out of the chip bag with a fork or a spoon. In other words, you can eat a walking taco when you’re on the go!
why you’ll love ’em!
Serves a crowd: this recipe serves 12, but can be easily doubled or tripled to serve a large group. Serve a smaller group by cutting everything in half.
Hand held: this walking taco recipe is designed to be eaten on the go, which makes them perfect to serve at a BBQ, little league game or any outdoor get together.
Chips: we’re using individual sized bags of chili cheese Fritos, but feel free to use regular Fritos, tortilla chips or even Doritos!
Taco meat: we’re using ground beef seasoned with diced yellow onion, tomato sauce and homemade taco seasoning.
Walking taco toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, sour cream and taco sauce.
How to Make Walking Tacos
Prepare ground beef
Cook the ground beef for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, and then add the diced onion, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the taco seasoning and tomato sauce and cook for another minute.
Assemble walking tacos
To assemble the walking tacos, cut the bags of chips open from the side, and layer:
- ¼ cup of taco meat
- ⅓ cup of lettuce
- 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of taco sauce
Repeat until all ingredients are gone.
Set up a walking taco bar to allow for people to assemble their own walking tacos, or serve already assembled from step 2. Enjoy!
Top Tips for Perfect Walking Tacos
- Add in any other of your favorite taco toppings: Guacamole, sliced jalapeños, and beans would be delicious. Choose your own adventure here!
- Feel free to use any kind of individual chips: Prefer tortilla chips? Go for it! Doritos are also delish. You can use any variety of individual sized chip bags for these walking tacos.
Store the walking taco fixings separately in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Assemble leftover walking tacos right before serving.
Easy Walking Tacos
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs. 85% ground beef
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese ~1 cup
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 12 individual chip bags Fritos
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and the ground beef. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the diced onion. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and tomato sauce and cook for another minute. Set aside.
- To assemble the walking tacos, cut the bags of chips open from the side. Layer ¼ cup of taco meat, ⅓ cup of lettuce, 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon of sour cream, and 1 tablespoon of taco sauce. Repeat until all ingredients are gone.
Tips & Notes
- Add in any other of your favorite taco toppings. Guacamole, jalapeños, and beans would be great in this.
- Feel free to use any kind of individual chips.