These sheet pan chicken gyros are prepared at the same time as baked feta and vegetables to complete a delicious one-pan meal that the whole family will love.
Sheet Pan Chicken Gyros
Get excited about these flavor packed sheet pan chicken gyros! These chicken gyros are baked to perfection on the same pan as delicious peppers and onions and a marinated black of feta cheese.
Why should you make this delicious one pan meal? Here are all the reasons.
- One pan, 30 minutes. Need I say more?
- When you bake the feta with the onions and peppers you stir them together before adding them to your gyro and it turns into a creamy feta addition to your gyro. It’s delish.
- Even though this is a baked recipe, it is paired with fresh ingredients that make this recipe taste so fresh.
Ingredients You Need
- Chicken tenderloin strips (or you can slice breasts into strips)
- Spices we use garlic powder, dried oregano, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper to both spice the chicken and the vegetables.
- Lemon zest– you marinate the chicken in a little bit of lemon zest to enhance the flavor of the chicken.
- Bell peppers– we use green bell peppers for this recipe, but any sweet pepper will do.
- Red onion– we like the sweetness that the red onions add to this recipe, but if you only have white onion or yellow onion will work too.
- Olive oil– you will need olive oil for chicken, veggies, and the sauce.
- Feta cheese block– though these are chicken gyros, the feta is the star of the show. You marinate the feta block in olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic. We do not recommend using feta crumbles!
- Cucumbers– the cucumbers are the main ingredient for the Greek yogurt sauce (a tzatziki sauce). We like to dice them up really fine, but you can also grate them!
- Greek yogurt– get yourself the full fat Greek yogurt for this recipe, it has the best creamy flavor!
- Lemon juice- we use lemon juice to brighten up the yogurt sauce so that it is refreshing and delicious.
- Garlic cloves– fresh garlic in this tzatziki sauce is the best! Mash it up or grate it so there are not huge garlic chunks in the sauce.
- Fresh herbs– a little fresh parsley and mint are the perfect herb to add to your yogurt sauce!
- Pitas– roll all of your gyro ingredients up in a pita! Any pita will do!
- Tomatoes- slice up a large tomato or you can also use cherry tomatoes and dice those up.
We kept these chicken gyros pretty simple, but feel free to add more fun ingredients to your gyro. Here are some suggestions.
- spicy banana peppers
- pickled red onions
How to Make Sheet Pan Chicken Gryos
- Get that chicken marinating. You want your chicken to have a good amount of marinating time so that the flavor of the chicken tenders. You get let them sit for 10 minutes – overnight. Once marinated, line them up on half of a greased baking sheet.
- Season the peppers + onions. Slice those peppers and onions up and toss then will olive oil, salt and pepper. Place them on half of the baking sheet.
- Marinate the feta. Place the feta in the middle of the peppers and onions and drizzle with olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Bake. Bake everything for 20 minutes at 400ºF.
- Prepare the sauce. While the chicken is baking, prepare the tzatziki sauce by mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Place it in the refrigerator.
- Cream the feta. Once everything is done baking, mash the feta up with a fork and stir it up on the hot pan with the onions and peppers until it forms a creamy sauce.
- Assemble the gyros. Assemble the gyros by spreading 1-2 tablespoons of tzatziki sauce and, chicken, peppers + onions, and a slice of tomato. Wrap it up and enjoy.
Baked Feta + Vegetables
The best part of this recipe is definitely the creamed peppers and onions. The key to this part of the recipe is to make sure that the feta and peppers are coated in enough olive oil and spices.
From there, you want to bake the feta until it is hot enough that it creams easily with a fork.
What happens if the chicken bakes faster than the feta? If the chicken finishes baking faster than the feta, we suggest removing the chicken back into the oven and baking the feta for an additional 10 minutes.
Tips + Tricks
Spice things up.
If you would like your chicken gyro to have a little more heat, we suggest adding more pepper flakes to the feta or add a teaspoon or two of hot sauce.
Add different vegetables.
We used simple sweet peppers, onions, and tomatoes in this recipe but feel free to add any of the vegetables below to mix things up.
- Roasted cauliflower
- Egg plant
- More fresh herbs like cilantro or more mint
- Massaged kale
Serve gyros with these dishes.
We suggest storing the chicken, peppers, sauce, and pita all separate from each other to avoid sogginess. Store all of the different components in air tight containers for up to 5 days.
- 1-lb. Chicken tenderloin strips (or you can slice breasts into strips)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 medium green bell peppers, sliced
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoons salt
- 8-oz. feta cheese block (not crumbles)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup minced cucumbers
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 pitas
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh Mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the chicken dry rub. Add garlic powder, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and lemon zest to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Toss the chicken tenders in the dry rub so they are completely coated in the dry rub. Place the coated chicken tenders on half of the baking sheet (so they aren’t touching). Add the peppers and onions to the other half of the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt. Toss.
- Make a well in the middle of the peppers and onions and place the feta block in the well. Drizzle the feta block with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle the block with garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and salt. Massage the spices into the feta block.
- Drizzle everything with the last tablespoon of olive oil and then bake at 400ºF for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the feta yogurt sauce. Place the minced cucumbers in a medium-sized bowl and sprinkle with salt. Toss. Smash the cucumbers with a fork or the end of a wooden spoon so they turn into a cucumber mash. Add the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, and black pepper to the cucumbers and toss all the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Once the timer goes off, remove the baking sheet from the oven and remove the chicken from the baking sheet. Set aside.
- Increase the temperature to 450ºF and place the baking sheet back into the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the feta begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven and mash the feta with a fork and toss the feta, peppers, and onions together until everything is coated in the feta sauce. Set aside.
- Place the pitas straight onto the oven rack and let them warm in the oven at 450ºF for 3-4 minutes. Remove.
- Cut the chicken tenders into strips.
- Assemble the pitas. Scoop 2-3 tablespoons of the cucumber sauce onto a pita. Add peppers and onions, chicken, tomatoes and fresh mint to the pita. Repeat until all the pitas are full and ready to eat.