Incredibly delicious blue cheese buffalo chicken dip is the perfect cheesy appetizer to share for game day or the holidays!
The Best Blue Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip
This buffalo chicken dip isn’t your average dip. Not only is it made with blue cheese, but it is packed with cheddar cheese and cream cheese, too. It doesn’t get much better (or more cheesier) than that.
What We Love About this Recipe
- It’s an easy appetizer to whip up in just 30 minutes.
- It is creamy, spicy, and so flavorful.
- Just throw everything in a baking dish, bake, and you’re done!
- You can use leftover buffalo chicken dip in sandwiches or wraps all week long.
- This dip is a great dish to bring to any gathering.
Ingredients You Need
One of the best things about this buffalo chicken dip is that it is made with simple ingredients that you probably have at home right now.
- Cream cheese– be sure you use full fat (yum) and softened cream cheese for this recipe. We show you how you can do that quickly, here.
- Sour cream- you add a little tang your buffalo chicken dip by adding sour cream. We suggest full fat sour cream or you can use full fat plain Greek yogurt if you’re in a pinch.
- Hot sauce- the buffalo in the title of this recipe comes from the buffalo sauce that you use. We love Franks hot sauce. If you are feeling fancy you can also use Franks wing sauce for an extra boost of buffalo.
- Seasonings (garlic powder, paprika, Italian seasoning) – to add depth to this tasty dip we add some simple seasonings that bring it to the next level.
- Shredded chicken– you can use pre-shredded chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. You can also make your own shredded chicken. If you are preparing it yourself, we generally use chicken breasts, but you can use chicken thighs, too.
- Cheddar cheese– whether you use sharp cheddar cheese or milk cheddar cheese, don’t skip the cheese.
- Blue cheese crumbles– one thing that goes best with buffalo sauce is blue cheese. Use your favorite blue cheese and feel free to use a little extra.
At a Glance- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Prepare Chicken (Optional)
This is step is only for people who are preparing their chicken at home. They sell chicken pre-shredded at many grocery stores. If you are making your own at home, cook the chicken before starting this recipe.
Mix Wet Ingredients + Spices
Add the softened cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, and spices into a a large bowl. Stir all the ingredients together and make sure everything is combined well.
Add Cheese + Chicken
Fold in the cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup of the blue cheese (you are saving the rest for topping) and mix.
Everything will melt together into an ooey gooey dip, so do the best you can, but there can be lumps.
Spread the dip out and bake the dip at 350ºF for 18-22 minutes or until the sides start to bubble.
Serve it Up
Remove the dip from the oven and sprinkle the rest of the blue cheese and fresh green onions or chives.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Tips + Tricks
The beautiful thing about this dip is that you can make some simple ingredient substitutions.
- Feel free to switch up the protein and use a different shredded meat like pork or turkey.
- If you are running low on shredded cheddar cheese, use any shredded cheese that you would like. Mozzarella cheese or shredded pepper jack cheese for extra spice.
- Don’t have sour cream? Use plain Greek yogurt .
Serve it Hot
We highly suggest serving this dip hot when you first make it. There is nothing better than an ooey gooey cheese dip.
All the Serving Options
You can serve this blue cheese buffalo chicken dip with so many different things. Serve it with any of ingredients below or get creative.
- Carrot sticks
- Celery sticks
- Tortilla chips
- Toasted bread
If you have leftovers of this blue cheese buffalo chicken dip, there are so many ways you can use it.
- Spread it on a sandwich or wrap.
- Pack it up into single serve servings and eat it as a snack throughout the week.
- Use it to make these buffalo chicken nachos.
- Warm it up and toss it with warm pasta.
Let the dip cool completely before storing it in an airtight container and placing it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to softening cream cheese the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
- 4-oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 1.25 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles, divided
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Grease a small baking dish (about 8”) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, come the cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and paprika. Mix until well combined.
- Next, add the chicken, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and ¼ cup of blue cheese. Mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it into a smooth layer. Top with the remaining cheddar and blue cheeses.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown on top. Garnish with additional blue cheese and sliced green onion, if desired.
- Serve warm and store any leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 235 Sugar: 5 Sodium: 615 Fat: 17 Carbohydrates: 5 Fiber: 0 Protein: 14 Cholesterol: 57
Keywords: Blue Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip