The ultimate appetizer is this simple cream cheese and crab rangoon recipe made with cream cheese, crab meat, and wonton wrappers!
Easy App = Cream Cheese & Crab Rangoons
Looking for a cheesy and crunchy appetizer to make for the holidays, game day, or any gathering? Crab rangoons are a fun, fried appetizer filled with a cheesy crab mixture and fried to crunchy perfection.
We love to dip our cream cheese crab rangoons in a classic sweet and sour sauce to get that sweet and savory taste in every bite!
Why you’ll love it!
- Crowd-pleasing appetizer
- Easy to make
- Cream cheese: we recommend using full-fat, softened cream cheese.
- Cooked crab: you can either cook your own crab meat or buy pre-cooked.
- Spices: the spices we used are garlic powder and onion powder.
- Wonton wrappers: this recipe makes 24 wontons, so make sure to have 24 wonton wrappers!
- Vegetable oil: vegetable oil is used for frying.
How to Make Crab Rangoon
Combine cream cheese, crab, and spices in a medium bowl.
- Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into the corner of one of the wonton wrappers.
- Dip your fingers in water and wet the outer edge of the wonton wrapper. Fold the wonton wrapper over the cream cheese mixture and seal by pinching the edges together.
- Repeat until the filling is gone and you have about 24 rangoon.
Heat vegetable oil in a large pot to around 375ºF. Then, fry around 3-4 rangoon at a time for 1 minute on each side. Remove the rangoon from the pot and place on a paper towel.
Let your cream cheese rangoon cool for a few minutes and then serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
What is crab rangoon?
Crab rangoon is a deep-fried appetizer made with a wonton wrapper filled with a yummy cream cheese and crab mixture. They’re deep fried and served with sauce.
Are rangoons and wontons the same thing?
No they are not. Typically wontons are boiled and rangoons are deep fried. They also come from 2 very different cultures.
Does crab rangoon have crab in it?
Yes, crab rangoon have real crab in it. You can either cook your own crab our buy pre-cooked crab.
While we recommend eating cream cheese crab rangoon immediately after frying, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Cream Cheese and Crab Rangoon
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 4 oz. cooked crab meat we used this brand
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 24 oz. vegetable oil for frying
- Water for sealing
- Place the cream cheese, crab, garlic powder, and onion powder into a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer until everything is well combined.
- Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into the corner of one of the wonton wrappers. Dip your fingers in water and wet the outer edge of the wonton wrapper. Fold the wonton wrapper over the cream cheese mixture and seal by pinching the edges together. Repeat until the filling is gone and you have about 24 rangoons.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a large pot (~5 quarts), maknig sure there is at least 4-inches of oil. Heat the oil to 375ºF. Place 3-4 rangoons into the oil and fry for about 1 minute on each side. Remove the rangoons with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tips & Notes
- It is important to have at least 4 inches of oil in the pan for frying.