This classic chip dip recipe is easy, creamy and the perfect complement to a salty potato chip. You’ll never make another chip dip again!
The BEST Chip Dip Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good chip dip!? And instead of serving store-bought, we’re making a classic homemade chip dip that could not be easier. We’re talking 7-ingredients, made in 10 minutes and no need to bake anything.
What does chip dip taste like? Chip dip tastes similar to a classic French onion dip or Top the tater, but even better because it’s homemade 😀
Do I serve this hot or cold? This chip dip is meant to be served cold as it is instructed to refrigerate before serving.
why you’ll love it!
7 simple ingredients: all you need to create this chip dip is 7 simple and easy-to-find ingredients 😀
One bowl: you can easily make this chip dip in one bowl. No need to use multiple pots and pans — or even cook anything!
Quick appetizer: this chip dip comes together in just 10 minutes. It’s that simple!
- cream cheese: the basis of this dip is cream cheese.
- sour cream: feel free to swap the sour cream from Greek yogurt instead. We’ve tested this chip dip both ways, and it’s delicious!
- spices: salt, paprika and garlic powder.
- onion: for ease, we’re using dried minced onion in this chip dip.
- fresh chives: don’t skip the fresh chives! They add great crunch, flavor and color to this chip dip.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to soften cream cheese to the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
How to Make Chip Dip
Making this chip dip is as easy as 1-2-3! Here’s what you need to do:
Mix together ingredients
Place all of the ingredients into a medium bowl, and mix together using a hand mixer.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Top & Serve
Sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving, and top with fresh chives. Serve with your favorite kettle chips and crunchy vegetables.
Serving Suggestions for Chip Dip
- Potato chips, of course!
Top Tips for Perfect Chip Dip
Sub Greek yogurt if you’d like: Greek yogurt is a great substitution for sour cream.
Make it sweet & salty: Add 2-3 teaspoons of brown sugar to this chip dip to give it a sweet and salty taste.
Don’t forget to soften the cream cheese: Softening the cream cheese will ensure you get a creamy chip dip with no lumps.
Store leftover chip dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure to give it a nice stir before using it again as some liquid may separate. Top with additional fresh chives before serving.
Classic Chip Dip
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped chives
- Place all of the ingredients into a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh chives.
- Serve with your favorite kettle chips and crunchy vegetables.
Tips & Notes
- Greek yogurt could be substituted for sour cream.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of brown sugar to this dip to make it sweet and salty.