Say hello to your new favorite chip dip — sizzling scallion dip made with fried green onions and scallions, mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream.
What is sizzling scallion dip?
Sizzling scallion dip is exactly what it sounds like. Green onions and thinly sliced scallions are first fried in avocado oil until crispy and then mixed with cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, and spices for the perfect chip dip.
What does scallion dip taste like? Scallion dip tastes similar to classic French onion dip, but better because it’s homemade.
Do I serve this hot or cold? This dip is meant to be served cold as it is instructed to refrigerate before serving.
What You Need
- avocado oil: avocado oil is used for frying up the shallot and green onion.
- shallot: this recipe is all about the shallots! You’ll need to slice 1 medium shallot.
- green onions: green onion adds so much flavor to the dip.
- cream cheese: the basis of this dip is cream cheese.
- sour cream: feel free to swap the sour cream from Greek yogurt instead.
- mayo: mayo adds a nice tang.
- spices: salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to soften cream cheese to the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
Did you know?
Adding hot oil to spices is called “blooming”. It is when you add hot oil to spices to help amplify the flavors.
- Sturdy potato chips
Store leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure to give it a nice stir before using it again as some liquid may separate.
Sizzling Scallion Dip
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 1 medium shallot thinly sliced (~½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch green onion diced (~8-10 green onions)
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and add the avocado oil and thinly sliced shallots. Fry the shallots for 3-4 minutes or until crispy.
- While the shallots are frying add the diced green onion, paprika, and thyme to a heat safe bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the shallots and oil into the green onion and spice mixture and set aside.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, combine all of the ingredients until well blended.
- Next, pour the oil mixture into the cream cheese mixture and cream together.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- This is like an elevated french onion chip dip. It is served best with a sturdy potato chip or veggies.
- Adding hot oil to spices is called “blooming”. It is when you add hot oil to spices to help amplify the flavors.