These homemade crunchy cheese crackers are made from sharp cheddar and Pecorino Romano cheese, flour, butter, and cold water.
Easy Cheese Crackers
Ever wonder how to make your own crackers? This cheese crackers recipe comes together with 2 different kinds of cheese and just a few more ingredients.
They’re crunchy and delicious served with hummus, cheese, or charcuterie. Heck, they’re even delicious eaten on their own.
Why you’ll love them!
- Perfect with dips and charcuterie
- Easy and homemade
- Cheeses: this recipe calls for sharp white cheddar cheese and Pecorino Romano cheese. You’re more than welcome to use yellow cheddar or parmesan instead.
- Flour: you’ll need all-purpose flour for this cheese crackers recipe. We haven’t tested it with any other flours.
- Butter: butter is the fat used for these crackers..
- Cold water: cold water is what molds the dough together.
- Seasonings: feel free to use any seasonings you want on top. We tried this recipe with both everything bagel seasoning and Italian seasoning.
How to Make Panera Mac and Cheese
Cream Butter and Cheese
Add the butter and cheeses to an electric stand mixer. Beat on medium/high for 5-6 minutes until smooth and combined
Add Flour & Water
Slowly add the flour and mix until combined.
Then, add the water by the teaspoon and mix until a dough forms.
Form Balls and Refrigerate
Form the dough into 2 balls and then flatten them into discs. Wrap them in plastic wrap and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Roll and Cut
Roll the dough out on a piece of parchment paper until it’s 1/8 of an inch thick. Sprinkle on desired seasonings and lightly roll them into the dough.
Use a ruler to measure out 1-inch and then cut the dough into long strips. Then, use a pizza cutter or pastry cutter to slice the dough into crackers. Feel free to cut your crackers into long crackers like we did (7-8-inches long) or into squares. They will bake the same.
Transfer the piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
Transfer the baking sheet into the freezer for 15-20 minutes to set.
Tip: Do not skip this part! Freezing the dough will set it so that your crackers don’t spread while baking. It’s just like sugar cookies 😀
Bake at 375ºF for 15-17 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.
Cheesy Hot Crab Dip: Hot crab dip is cheesy, creamy, and so delicious with tortilla chips. Make this crab dip recipe for game day or any holiday gathering.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Dip: This Chicken Bacon Ranch Dip is a deliciously savory and cheesy appetizer that is served warm. Make this dip with 6 ingredients in 15 minutes flat!
Cold Crab Dip: This crab dip is made with only 6 ingredients and is ready to eat in under 15 minutes! It is the perfect appetizer for any event or even just a delicious protein-packed snack to make for the week.
Baked Brie: Seriously this Baked Brie with Fig Jam is going to be your new go-to Baked Brie in Puffed Pastry recipe. It’s so flavorful and delicious.
Store cheese crackers in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 days. These crackers are best if eaten immediately.
Cheese Crackers Recipe
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 6 oz. white sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 oz. pecorino romano cheese shredded
- 1.25 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning or Italian seasoning
- Place the butter, cheddar cheese, and pecorino romano into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Using a standing mixer or an electric mixer, mix the three ingredients together on medium/high speed for 5-6 minutes or until the mixture becomes smooth and combined.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the flour and whisk the two together. Slowly add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix the ingredients together on low speed. The mixture will begin to turn into a dry crumble.
- Once all of the flour has been added to the bowl, slowly add the cold water by the teaspoon to the bowl. A dough will begin to form.
- Next, form the dough into two balls and then flatten them into a disk shape. Wrap each dough dish in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper down on the counter and roll the dough out into a large rectangle that is less than ⅛ inch thick (be sure it is VERY thin).
- Sprinkle your seasoning of choice over the cracker dough and use a rolling pin to gently roll the seasoning into the cracker dough.
- Use a ruler to measure out 1-inch wide and 7-8-inch long crackers. Carefully use a pizza cutter or pastry cutter to cut straight lines from the markings you have made with the ruler. Be careful not to cut the parchment paper!
- Carefully transfer the parchment paper to a large baking sheet and be sure all of the squares aren’t touching.
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once firmed up, bake at 375ºF for 15-17 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately remove the parchment paper from the baking sheet and place it on a cooling rack.
Tips & Notes
- The two key steps to this recipe is to be sure the dough is rolled out very thin and refrigerated twice. Both of these steps will ensure that the crackerse will not puff.
- We used everything bagel seasoning and Italian seasoning for our crackers but feel free to use your favorite spice rub.