This homemade cheese bread is a cross between pizza and garlic bread. Make it as a perfect side to any Italian-inspired dish!
It’s Time for Cheese Bread
You’re going to absolutely love this cheese bread that’s so much better than takeout! With an easy homemade crust, and a cheesy Italian topping that’s baked to golden brown perfection. Add this as a side to any Italian dish!
why you’ll love it!
Italian Cheesy Deliciousness: This cheese bread is made with 2 different cheeses and Italian seasoning.
Perfect with Pasta: We highly suggest serving this cheese bread with your favorite pasta dish. Try this Easy Mushroom Pasta or Baked Ravioli.
You can freeze it for later: We love that you can make a double batch of this cheese bread and freeze one batch for later.
For the Crust
- Active yeast
- Lukewarm water
- All-purpose flour
- Olive oil
For the cheesy topping
- Unsalted butter
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning (we used this one!)
How to Make Cheese Bread
make the crust
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the yeast, sugar, and ½ cup of water. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the yeast to bloom.
Next, add the flour, salt, and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Using the dough hook attachment to knead for 5 minutes or by hand for 10 minutes. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the dough ball and cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
Top cheese Bread
Preheat the oven to 450℉, and transfer the dough onto a baking sheet. Using your hands press it into a 9×6 inch rectangle. Spread the butter onto the top of the dough. Then, sprinkle on the mozzarella and parmesan and season with the Italian seasoning.
Bake CHeese Bread
Bake for 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Let cool briefly and then slice the bread into rectangles. Dip in marinara sauce, and enjoy!
Top Tips for Perfect Cheese Bread
Choose your favorite cheese: Provolone, asiago, and romano cheese can all easily be added or swapped with any of the cheeses.
Double this recipe: after the dough has risen for 30 minutes divide into two balls to make two batches of cheese bread.
Italian seasoning can vary greatly: We use homemade Italian seasoning. If you use a store bought Italian seasoning, you may want to taste test before adding any additional salt.
Let the cheese bread cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating Instructions: Preheat the oven to broil and place the cheese bread on a baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes.
How to Freeze Cheese Bread
If you would like to freeze your cheese bread for later, follow the instructions and let it cool completely, and then place a piece of parchment paper in between each slice and place in a freezer safe bag.
Freeze the cheese bread for up to 3 months.
To reheat the cheese bread from frozen, preheat the oven to 350ºF and place the frozen bread on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- ½ teaspoon active yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- 1.25 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese ~2 cups
- 3 oz. grated parmesan cheese ~¼ cup
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the yeast, sugar, and ½ cup of water. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the yeast to bloom. It should look creamy or have a foamy top.
- Next, add the flour, salt, and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Using the dough hook attachment to knead for 5 minutes or by hand for 10 minutes.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the dough ball and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450℉.
- Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet. Using your hands press it into a 9 inch by 6 inch rectangle.
- Spread the butter onto the top of the dough. Then, sprinkle on the mozzarella and parmesan. Season with the Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let cool briefly and then slice the bread into rectangles.