This crab dip is made with only 6 ingredients and is ready to eat in under 15 minutes! It is the perfect appetizer for any event or even just a delicious protein-packed snack to make for the week.
The Easiest Appetizer
What do you make when you need a delicious appetizer in minutes? Dip recipes! And specifically, this easy crab dip with cream cheese! It is not your average sea food dip with cocktail sauce. It is a refreshing, surprisingly light, and flavorful appetizer!
We love this crab dip for a few different reasons!
- The timing is insane. From start to finish you can make this dip in under 15 minutes.
- You can dress this dip up or dress this dip down depending on what you serve it with.
- If you are craving a hot crab dip, you can serve this dip hot, too!
Crab Dip Ingredients
We’re weren’t joking when we said that there is a very short list of ingredients for this easy crab dip recipe. Here is everything you need to make this dip!
- Imitation crab meat
- Cream cheese
- Old Bay seasoning
- Hot sauce
- Lemon juice
- Green onion
Substitution Options for Crab Dip
Though there is a short list of ingredients there are a few different substitutions (or additions) you can make to this classic cold seafood dip that still result in amazing taste and flavors.
Lump Crab Meat instead of Imitation Crab
Greek Yogurt instead of Mayonnaise
Chili Powder + Salt instead of Old Bay Seasoning
Lime juice instead if Lemon Juice
Red Onion instead of Green Onion
Add Lemon Zest
Add Fresh Parsley
Whatever you do, don’t skip the CREAM CHEESE!
If you want to get fancy with this crab dip, try adding caramelized onion, roasted garlic, and serve it with warm crostini!
How to Make Crab Dip
Making this cold crab dip recipe with cream cheese is as easy as 1-2-3
- Start by mincing or shredding cold imitation crab dip with a sharp knife or two forks.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the other ingredients together in a separate bowl. Be sure to really mix all the ingredients together until the cream cheese, hot sauce, and lemon juice create a sauce.
- Gently fold the imitation crab dip into the sauce and top with green onions.
- Place in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve.
- Serve with crackers, veggies, tortilla chips, or crostini.
Crab Dip 101
How do I serve this crab dip warm?
To serve this crab dip warm, preheat the oven to 350ºF and place the crab dip into a small cassoulet or other oven safe dish. Bake the crab dip for 15-20 minutes.
Top with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and turn the oven to broil. Broil until the mozzarella is bubbly and golden brown.
What is imitation crab?
Imitation crab is a mixture of fish, egg whites, starch, salt, and additives. it is shaped to look like meat.
Is crab dip healthy?
Everything in moderation! This crab dip is high in protein, low carb, and perfect for a healthy snack!
How do I store this crab dip?
Store crab dip in an air tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Cold Crab Dip with Cream Cheese
- 8 oz. imitation crab meat
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon green onion optional
- First, mince crab meat into small pieces and place them into a medium-size bowl.
- Next, add mayonnaise, cream cheese, hot sauce, Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, and green onion to the bowl.
- Mix to combine.
- Serve with crackers or baguette slices.
Tips & Notes
- We used Franks’ hot sauce, but your favorite works too.
- Any variety of imitation or canned crab can be used, including flake or leg.
- Stable crackers work best for dipping.