Take your ravioli game up a notch and make this delicious baked ravioli recipe. Layer your favorite ravioli with a simple cheesy tomato sauce and dinner is ready.
We Love Baked Ravioli!
Ravioli is one of our favorites in The Cheese Knees kitchen, and hopefully you’ve already made our goat cheese ravioli or our homemade ravioli recipe! Today we’re here to make all your ravioli dreams come true with a BAKED ravioli recipe 😀
why you’ll love it
We aren’t joking when we say this baked ravioli is going to be a family favorite and here’s why.
It’s made with cheese ravioli, cheesy sauce, and a tasty cheese mixture. The more cheese the better
You can include your kiddos when assembling this baked ravioli.
Choose your favorite store-bought ravioli when you’re in a pinch for time.
what is baked ravioli?
Baked ravioli is a pasta dish made with ravioli and marinara sauce and baked to perfection in a casserole dish.
What is ravioli?
Ravioli is a type of pasta that’s enveloped within two thin layers of pasta. For this ravioli we’re using a combination of ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheese for the filling, and a combination of all purpose and semolina flour for the pasta dough.
Is ravioli pasta?
It sure is! It’s similar to other pocket-filled pastas like tortellini and mezzelune.
Baked Ravioli Ingredients
You only need 7 ingredients for this delicious baked ravioli! It’s time to round up:
- Marinara sauce: choose your favorite store bought marinara sauce or make homemade sauce. What sauce you buy will determine the flavor profile of your baked ravioli.
- Cream cheese: cream cheese is a fun add-in to the marinara sauce. It mades the perfect creamy sauce.
- Pre-made ravioli: you can use our homemade cheese ravioli recipe or buy yourself your favorite store-bought ravioli.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: we love how melty and delicious mozzarella is.
- Shredded parmesan cheese: parmesan cheese offers a salty finish to this baked ravioli.
- Italian seasoning: we are big fans of this homemade Italian seasoning because it includes salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes. If you use a store-bought Italian seasoning you may need to add some garlic powder and salt.
- Fresh parsley, basil, or thyme: top your baked ravioli with fresh herbs, don’t forget.
We used 9-oz. of pre-made raviolis that had 10 raviolis in each package. Please use whatever ravioli variety prefer!
This le creuset casserole dish is our all time favorite casserole dish! The white color rocks, it has a cover, and it’s great for so many dishes.
Easy Swaps or Add-ins
Feel free to make this baked ravioli recipe your own by substituting ingredients or adding some in. All we care about is that you enjoy your dinner! Below are some of our add-in ideas.
Cream cheese–> ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
Marinara sauce–> Alfredo sauce
Parmesan cheese–> romano
Ground turkey, ground beef, or Italian sausage: brown ground meat before making your marinara sauce to make a meat sauce.
Vegetables: add in in some of your favorite veggies like spinach, bell peppers, or mushrooms.
How to Make Baked Ravioli
Preheat & Prep
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Prepare Marinara Sauce
Warm up your marinara sauce and add the cream cheese to the marinara sauce and stir until the cream cheese is melted and combined.
Mix the cheese mixture
Add the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning to a large bowl and mix to combine.
Layer the Baked ravioli
Add ½ of the cream cheese marinara sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish and then lay out half of the ravioli on top of the sauce.
Pour half of the remaining marinara sauce over the ravioli and then sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over the sauce.
Top the cheese with the remaining ravioli, then sauce, and the remaining cheese.
Bake Bake Bake
Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the heat to broil and broil the baked ravioli for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
When the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the baked ravioli remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and enjoy.
Three Cheese Ravioli
Love ravioli? Try our incredibly easy three cheese ravioli.
Can I use any kind of ravioli in this recipe?
Yes, you can use any whatever variety of ravioli your cheese-loving heart desires in this baked ravioli recipe.
What kind of marinara should I use?
You can use any jarred marinara sauce that you would like. We recommend using a low sugar and organic brand!
Let the ravioli cool completely before storing the ravioli in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze this casserole?
We do not recommend freezing this casserole.
- 24- oz. marinara sauce
- 4- oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 9- oz. packages pre-made ravioli thawed (fresh, not dried)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium/high heat and add the marinara sauce. When the marinara sauce begins to bubble (about 5 minutes) add the softened cream cheese to the saucepan.
- Turn the heat to low and stir the cream cheese into the sauce until it is melted (about 5-7 minutes). Continue to stir the sauce as the cream cheese melts to make sure the sauce doesn’t burn. Remove the saucepan from heat once the cream cheese is melted.
- Add the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add ½ of the cream cheese marinara sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish and then lay out half of the ravioli on top of the sauce.
- Pour half of the remaining marinara sauce over the ravioli and then sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over the sauce.
- Top the cheese with the remaining ravioli, then sauce, and the remaining cheese.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat to broil and broil the baked ravioli for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- When the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the baked ravioli remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- We used 9-oz. pre-made raviolis that had 10 raviolis in each package. Please use whatever ravioli you want.