Sometimes simple is best. Here’s a quick recipe for a cheese quesadilla. In this post, we’ll teach you how to make a cheese quesadilla, plus how to stuff it and make it your own!
Best Cheese Quesadilla Recipe!
Whether you’re a kid or a kid at heart, a cheese quesadilla never gets old. They’re filling, cheesy, and I’m not sure I’ve met a single person who doesn’t like them.
Today, we’re sharing a basic, but necessary recipe for a cheese quesadilla. We know there are lots of different kinds of quesadillas out there, but sometimes the best is simple.
In fact, our recipe is so simple you really only need 3 ingredients!
PS: our recipe for the cheese quesadilla is definitely Mexican-inspired, but not authentic as we’re using shredded cheddar cheese instead of an authentic Mexican cheese.
What is a Quesadilla
A quesadilla is a Mexican dish that is made with a tortilla filled with cheese and other ingredients that is fried in oil or butter.
Best Cheese for Quesadillas
Traditionally, queso de Oaxaca is the type of cheese used in Mexico for quesadillas. It is similar to mozzarella cheese and melts very easily.
In our cheese quesadilla recipe, we’re using cheddar cheese. Below you will find some other cheeses that work well for quesadillas.
Top 5 Kinds of Cheese for Quesadillas
- Cheddar cheese
- Mexican cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Colby Jack cheese
- Gouda cheese
You can buy any of these cheeses pre-shredded or you can buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself.
Check out our post on how to grate cheese!
In addition to shredded cheddar cheese, you also need:
Tortillas: our favorite kind of tortilla to use for the cheese quesadilla is flour. It’s chewy and cooks to golden brown very easily.
Olive oil: olive oil is used for frying, but you can also use butter or vegetable oil.
How to Make a Cheese Quesadilla
- Heat pan: heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add tortilla: add one tortilla to the olive oil
- Sprinkle cheese: sprinkle on a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cook: place the other tortilla on top and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip: flip the tortilla over and let the other side cook for a couple more minutes or until golden brown.
Use a different cheese: we kept things super simple (and very American) with shredded cheddar cheese. The option is yours to use whatever kind of cheese you wish!
Add a protein: amp up this protein in this recipe and use cooked chicken, black beans, or even shrimp!
Switch up the tortilla: feel free to use any kind of tortilla. We have had the best success with flour tortillas, but you can also try whole wheat or corn.
Don’t even think about eating your cheese quesadilla without toppings! Here are just a few of our favs:
- Sour cream/Greek yogurt
- More cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Pico de gallo
- Hot sauce
Let your quesadillas cool completely. Then, transfer them into an airtight container and seal. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: the easiest way to reheat them is in the microwave. Microwave on high for about 60 seconds.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 8- inch flour tortillas
- ¾ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa any kind
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant add a tortilla to the pan and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the tortilla. Top the shredded cheese with the second tortilla.
- Let the bottom tortilla crisp up until golden brown (3-4 minutes) and then carefully flip the quesadilla over with a spatula. Repeat until the second tortilla becomes crispy and golden brown and remove from heat.
- Cut the quesadilla into fourths and top the quesadilla with your favorite toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Other shredded cheeses that work well for cheese quesadillas include mozzarella, Colby Jack, and Mexican-blend cheddar.
- Nutrition information does not include toppings.