This easy Whipped Feta Dip recipe is a perfect appetizer for any occasion! All you do is whip feta and cream cheese and top it with caramelized onion. We love serving it with toasted bread or our favorite crackers.
WE LOVE WHIPPED FETA! And know you will, too — this dip is such a simple yet flavorful recipe that’s perfect served as an appetizer, slathered on a sammie, or used to add creaminess to a soup. The options truly are endless.
We tested this recipe with just feta and then again with cream cheese. We decided the feta and cream cheese combination was perfect and went for it!
PS: if you haven’t tried our famous Baked Feta Pasta (AKA TikTok Pasta) you have to. It’s so easy to make and delicious.
What You Need for Whipped Feta Dip
You will need feta, cream cheese, and Greek yogurt for the whipped part of this recipe. Separately, you will prepare perfectly caramelized onions on the stove top.
our go-to food procesor
We LOVE our 8-cup Cuisinart food processor for recipes like this that require a high-speed food processor to blend to creamy perfection.
Substitutions & Variations
There are so many ways you can change up this whipped feta recipe. We add caramelized onions to the dip, but you can add roasted garlic, chopped salted nuts, or even some chili crisp to spice things up a bit.
How long will whipped feta last in the fridge?
Whipped feta will last around 3-5 days in the fridge.
What is feta dip made of?
Feta dip is made from feta cheese, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and lemon.
What does whipped feta taste like?
Whipped feta tastes just like feta cheese – salty and savory all at the same time.
How to Store Whipped Feta Dip
This whipped feta dip is best made and served immediately. Should you need to prep this dip ahead of time and serve it later, we recommend NOT heating the feta dip before storing it as the texture can alter when chilling and reheating.
Can you Freeze Whipped Feta Dip?
We do not recommend freezing this whipped feta dip as the texture of dairy dips like this can become undesirable when defrosting and reheating.
Whipped Feta Dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt divided
- 8 oz. feta cheese cut into cubes (crumbled feta works, too)
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Heat olive oil in a small pan over low/medium heat. Add sliced red onion, garlic, and salt.
- Cook over low/medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until translucent and caramelized.
- Once caramelized, set aside.
Whipped Feta Dip
- Place feta cheese, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and lemon juice in a high-speed food processor.
- Process on high for 1-2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides until smooth.
- Option to eat whipped feta dip cold or warm it up. We prefer warming it up for creamy, hot goodness.
- To heat it up, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Transfer feta dipped into a small, greased baking dish (we used the small cast iron pan from the onions). Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes.
- Once the sides begin to bubble, remove it from the oven. You want to make sure you don’t burn it. Stir the bubbled-sides into the rest of the dip.
- Then, add olive oil for garnish and caramelized onions. Serve with crostinis, veggies, chips, or crackers.