This flavor-packed buffalo chicken grilled cheese is ready to go in less than 20 minutes and oh-so-saucy!
Grilled Cheese + Buffalo Chicken
I could eat a classic grilled cheese every single day. But let’s face it, that would get ultra boring.
That’s why, on Cheese Knees we have loads of different grilled cheese options so that you can mix up your lunches and not get bored.
We love this buffalo chicken grilled cheese combo becuase it combines two favorites into one meal. Homemade buffalo chicken is so easy to make. Plus, lunch is ready in less than 20 minutes!
Why you’ll love it!
- Easy to make
- Homemade buffalo chicken: buffalo chicken is really easy to make. Our recipe calls for Frank’s hot sauce, butter, shredded chicken, and blue cheese.
- Pepper jack cheese: we love that pepper jack cheese adds a bit of a kick while also adding a nice cheese pull. Feel free to sub for another cheese such as cheddar or provolone.
- Bread: we went with white sandwich bread, but any kind works.
- Red onion: red onion pairs quite nicely with buffalo chicken. Take it or leave it!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Incredibly delicious blue cheese buffalo chicken dip is the perfect cheesy appetizer to share for game day or the holidays!
Make Buffalo Sauce
Melt butter in a saucepan. Then, add buffalo sauce and mix to combine.
Make Buffalo Chicken
Remove the sauce from the heat and let cool. Once cooled, add the blue cheese crumbles and shredded chicken and mix to combine.
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Then, add a slice of pepper jack cheese, 1 cup of buffalo chicken, another slice of pepper jack cheese, and some red onion. Top with another slice of buttered bread.
Make Grilled Cheese
Fry the grilled cheese over medium/high heat for around 3-4 minutes on each side or until crispy.
While we recommend eating your buffalo chicken grilled cheese immediately, you can store your buffalo chicken for later.
Transfer the cooled buffalo chicken into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- ½ cup Franks Buffalo Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 8 oz. cooked shredded chicken (~2 cups)
- 1- oz blue cheese crumbles ~1 tablespoon
- 4 slices white sandwich bread
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan add 2 tablespoons of butter and heat over medium heat until melted.
- Slowly pour hot sauce into the saucepan, whisking constantly until combined.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cooled, add shredded chicken and blue cheese crumbles and set aside.
- Spread ½ tablespoons of butter onto each side of each slice of bread.
- To build the two sandwiches lay two pieces of bread on your work surface. Place 1 slice of pepper jack cheese onto each slice of bread. Then add 1 cup of the buffalo chicken to each. Top with 1 more slice of pepper jack and red onion and the second slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Add one, or both sandwiches if there is space, to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the grilled cheese and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with blue cheese dressing.
Tips & Notes
- The buffalo sauce does not need to be cold. You just want it to be cool enough to not burn yourself if you use your hands to put on the bread.
- If you want it less spicy you can use another base cheese. Mozzarella would be a nice sub to cool it down.
- You can also omit blue cheese if you don’t like it.
- The thin slices of red onion add sweetness to the sandwich once they are cooked.