We’re taking dinner up a notch with Air Fryer Pizza Grilled Cheese! This isn’t your average grilled cheese, it’s infused with all your favorite pizza ingredients.
If grilled cheese and pizza aren’t two of your favorite foods, I’m not sure we can be friends. This recipe was born out of having leftovers after a pizza night. Leftover sauce and pizza slathered over Italian bread is a dream.
In all seriousness, this is an epic cheesy recipe featuring our good ol’ Italian friend –> Mozzarella Cheese!
What you need for this Pizza Grilled Cheese?
It all begins with a classic grilled cheese, then the ante is upped with your favorite pizza ingredients.
Air fryer: this grilled cheese is prepared in the air fryer for a crispy outer crust and a ooey-gooey middle.
Italian Bread: pretty much any kind of bread works for this recipe, but Italian is so delicious. Our second choice would be sourdough.
Mozzarella Cheese: this recipe calls for sliced mozzarella, but shredded will work too!
Mozzarella cheese is traditionally used on pizza, so we used it here, too. If you don’t have mozzarella cheese you have some great options.
You can use a mixture of parmesan, asiago, and mozzarella (salty and melty). You can use cheddar cheese, American cheese, or Monterey Jack. All great options!
Can I make this on the stovetop?
- Follow the directions to prepare this pizza grilled cheese. Then, drizzle some olive oil in a medium frying pan. Heat over medium heat.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add the grilled cheese to the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the grilled cheese and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes. The cheddar cheese should be completely melted before removing the grilled cheese from the pan.*
Make sure to place the sauce on top of the layer of cheese, not bread. This prevents the bread from getting soggy.
Why isn’t my cheese melting properly?
If your cheese isn’t melting by the time your bread is toasted, your heat might be too high. Try lowering the heat of the air fryer.
Can I make more than one grilled cheese sandwich at a time?
It all depends on the size of your air fryer. If you have an extra large air fryer you should be able to make two grilled cheeses at a time.
Air Fryer Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices Italian or sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon softened butter divided
- 3 slices deli-sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 teaspoons pasta or pizza sauce
- 9 slices pepperoni
- ⅛ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the air fryer to 280ºF.
- Place bread on a plate or parchment paper for easy cleanup. Butter one side of the bread and turn it over so the buttered side is down.
- Place 2 slices of mozzarella cheese on top, then evenly spread 2-3 teaspoons sauce over cheese. Add sliced pepperoni, then sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Top with the remaining slice of cheese and slice of bread.
- Butter the top of the sandwich and place it in the preheated air fryer.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully turn the sandwich over and cook another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and slice with a pizza cutter. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- Make sure to place the sauce on top of the layer of cheese, not bread. This prevents the bread from getting soggy.
- Sandwich is best served immediately but can be reheated in the air fryer at a low temperature (250) degrees or in the toaster oven on a reheat setting.