Fancy up your grilled cheese with this simple avocado grilled cheese recipe! It’s made with thick sourdough bread, fresh avocado, and tons of provolone cheese.
Cheesy Avocado Grilled Cheese
Are you ready to make the easiest fancy grilled cheese of all time? This avocado grilled cheese recipe is seriously the perfect way to up your grilled cheese game.
Not only does it add healthy fats to your meal, but it also tastes absolutely delicious.
What does avocado grilled cheese taste like?
Avocado grilled cheese is similar to classic grilled cheese, but it has a silky smooth addition of fresh avocado in it. Avocados are mild in flavor and pair so well with any kind of cheese.
What You Need
- Sourdough bread: make sure to buy a loaf of sourdough. This can usually be found in the bakery section of any grocery store.
- Butter: we’re keeping things super simple and using butter instead of mayo.
- Avocado: make sure to buy ripe avocados for this recipe as avocados can be a little hard if they are underripe.
- Red onion: we are huge fans of raw onion, but if you’re not, feel free to skip this part.
- Provolone cheese: provolone cheese pairs beautifully with avocado because it’s mild. It also melts really easily which is great for the ooey gooeyness of grilled cheese.
Best Bread for Avocado Grilled Cheese
We are big fans of using any kind of bakery loaf for grilled cheese so that you get extra thick pieces of bread. Here are some more ideas:
- Whole wheat
While you can totally eat your grilled cheese as-is (by itself), we’re big into dipping! Here are some serving suggestions:
- Salsa (this is how we served ours!)
- Soup (try tomato or broccoli cheese)
Other Cheeses to Try
Don’t have provolone cheese or want to mix 2 kids? All you have to do is by another sliced cheese! Here are some ideas:
- Pepper Jack
If you’re a grilled cheese concessioner, try adding any of the following to your avocado grilled cheese to make it even fancier!
- Hot Sauce
- Caramelized Onions
Got leftover avocado grilled cheese? Store it in an airtight container or wrapped in a piece of tin foil in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 4 thick slices of bakery sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 large avocado pitted and sliced
- ¼ large red onion thinly sliced
- 4 slices thick-cut provolone cheese cut into halves (2 slices per sandwich)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup salsa for serving
- Prepare the avocado slices by fanning each avocado half out on a cutting board and sprinkling them with salt and pepper. Set aside for later.
- Spread the butter out on each side of the sourdough bread.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Then, add the sourdough bread to the pan.
- Let the bread toast for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the pieces of bread around so the toasted side is facing upward and place two half pieces of provolone cheese on top of two of the pieces of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle a few red onions on top of the cheese and fan out ½ an avocado on each piece of bread.
- Sprinkle the rest of the red onions over the avocado and top the avocado with two more half slices of provolone cheese.
- Top each sandwich with the other piece of bread (toasted side down) and toast the grilled cheese until the provolone cheese begins to melt (about 2-3 minutes).
- Carefully flip the grilled cheeses over and toast the other side of the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Remove from heat and serve with an option of a salsa dipping sauce.
I love grilled cheese and I will try this recipe ASAP! Thanks it looks amazing!
YES! It is seriously amazing!