This incredible cream cheese chicken chili is thick, creamy, and packed with flavor! This cream cheese chili is made in the Instant Pot and ready in under 30-minutes.
Our cream cheese chicken chili recipe makes for a perfect week night dinner and is even more delicious as leftovers!
How Do you Make Chili Creamy?
Did you know you can cream chili with CREAM CHEESE? Don’t believe me? Look at how thick and creamy this chicken chili with cream cheese turned out.
When thickening creamy chili, there are many different ways that you can thicken it up.
- You can make a roux (flour, butter, milk)
- Add heavy cream
- Corn starch
Though those thickening techniques are great for other recipes, this chicken chili is creamed with cream cheese and not only does it make it thick and creamy, it makes this chili recipes exceptionally delicious!
Cream Cheese Chicken Chili Ingredients
Cream cheese and chicken are the two main ingredients in this recipe, but there are some other tasty ingredients that take this chili up a notch. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Cream cheese – make sure you buy full-fat cream cheese. The partial fat kind loses a lot of flavor.
- Chicken breast- Feel free to use whatever cut of chicken you have! Just be sure you use
- Salsa verde- Adding salsa verde to this chili adds a spicy and flavorful twist!
- Two cans of beans– any kind, but we used pinto and black beans)
- Olive Oil- Any oil will do, but you need a little bit of oil to sauté your vegetables!
- Garlic- Garlic is a great base for chili! You can use cloves or pre-minced!
- Red onion- A little red onion adds onion flavor a bit of sweetness! However, any type of onion will do!
- Green pepper- Adding a bit of veggie crunch is always a good idea!
- Corn- Corn is a great addition to any chili! You can use fresh, canned, or frozen corn.
- Spices (cumin, salt, pepper)- In addition to the salsa verde, we added a bit more flavor with simple spices!
- Hot sauce- Hot sauce adds a little bit of spice and vinegar to this delicious chili!
- Lime juice- Freshen up your white chicken chili with a squeeze of lime juice right before serving!
Cream Cheese Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
Chili is a pretty easy meal to make in general, but making chili in the Instant Pot is even easier! It also frees up your stove and you end up with tender chicken and delicious flavors pressure cooked to perfection!
For this creamy cream cheese chicken chili, you use both the sauté feature and the pressure cook feature. Here’s what to do:
- First, using the sauté feature, sauté your onions and garlic.
- Next, add chicken breast, cream cheese, and salsa verde to the pot. Cover and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes (yes, only 8 minutes).
- Release the pressure naturally, shred your chicken, and add the rest of the ingredients!
- You turn on your sauté feature at the end and bring your chili to a simmer. Eat your chili when it has heated up to your desired temperature!
Instant Pot Chili 101
How do you thicken white chicken?
We thicken this white chili with cream cheese. Another way to thicken chili is to let it sit. The longer it sits, the thicker it will get, especially after you shred the chicken!
You can also use less broth to thicken up your chili, too!
Can you add cream to chili?
You can add whatever you want to your chili! If cream cheese isn’t enough, feel free to add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream to your chili.
How do you store cream cheese chicken chili?
You can store this chicken chili in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Be sure to let your chili cool completely before placing it in an air tight container and placing it in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze creamy chicken chili?
Yes, you can freeze creamy chicken chili! Let your chili cool completely and then place it in a freezer safe container. You can leave it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What goes with chicken chili?
We like to serve our chicken chili with a delicious salad and tortilla chips!
Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3/4 cup salsa verde divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 15-oz. can black beans
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans
- 1 medium green pepper minced
- 1 15-oz. can corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- lime juice
- Turn on your Instant Pot's saute feature and then add olive oil. Once olive oil is fragrant, add garlic, red onion, and salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Turn off the saute feature and then add 1/2 cup salsa verde, 8 oz. cream cheese, chicken breast, and 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- Seal the valve and turn Instant Pot to manual > high pressure and set the timer to 8 minutes. It will take around 10 minutes for your Instant Pot to build enough pressure to start counting down from 8.
- Once the timer goes off, quick release your Instant Pot by opening the valve. Take the top off and then remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the rest of the broth and salsa and the rest of the ingredients and mix. Then, turn the saute feature back on.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken breast into small pieces and then add the chicken back into the Instant Pot and mix to combine. Let chili simmer over the saute feature for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.