This cannoli ice cream is a delicious take on traditional cannoli filling but in a cone! This cannoli ice cream is made with cream cheese, ricotta, chocolate chips, pistachios, and more.
Cannoli Ice Cream
This cannoli ice cream is the recipe of the summer. Make it a day or two before serving, scoop it into cones, and top it with your favorite fixings. You will be the talk of every barbeque!
Why you’ll love it!
- It is made with cream cheese and ricotta. It is so creamy.
- This ice cream is a great dessert to make ahead of time to have on hand for entertaining.
- You can make dessert more fun for the family and let everyone choose their own toppings.
There are a few key ingredients when we are talking about cannoli dip. Below are the featured ingredients. Don’t forget to scroll to the recipe card to see a full list of ingredients.
- Ricotta cheese: whole milk ricotta cheese is where it’s at for ice cream. It has a higher fat content so it makes ice cream extra rich and creamy.
- Cream cheese: the cottage cheese will whip easier if it’s softened, so don’t forget.
- Sweet and condensed milk: you can’t have ice cream without sweet and condensed milk. It offers a silky texture and a bit of sweetness.
How to Make Cannoli Ice Cream
Make sure to scroll all the way down to the recipe card to get the full ingredient list and written recipe.
- Mix together the cream cheese, ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips. Be sure to use a hand mixer here!
- Make whipped cream in a separate large bowl and then add the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and the cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream. Gently fold the ingredients together until well combined.
- Transfer the cannoli ice cream to a loaf pan (or separate freezer-safe container) and cover it with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 5 hours.
- Serve in a waffle cone or a cup.
Follow the ingredient list. There are some recipes where you can make substitutions, this recipe is not one of those recipes. This ice cream has been tested and perfected. If you make changes, it will not turn out as it’s supposed to.
Store it correctly. Like any ice cream, you want to avoid freezer burn. To avoid freezer burn lay plastic wrap directly on top of the ice cream to make sure no air can get it in. Then, cover it again with tin foil or a freezer-safe cover.
Don’t overwhip the heavy cream. Keep the ice cream silky smooth and don’t overwhip the heavy cream or it will curdle.
What is cannoli ice cream made of?
Cannoli ice cream is made of ricotta, cream cheese, sweet and condensed milk, powdered sugar, and more ingredients.
What can I add to cannoli ice cream?
You can make this cannoli ice cream your own by adding in different mix-ins.
How long does cannoli ice cream last in the freezer?
Cannoli ice cream can last up to 3 months in the freezer if it is stored in an air-tight container.
Transfer the cannoli ice cream to a loaf pan or glass bowl that has a top. Top it with plastic wrap and then seal the ice cream into an air-tight container.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to soften cream cheese to the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
Homemade Cannoli Ice Cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- ½ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed pistachios
- 3 oz. waffle cones broken
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- Place the cream cheese, ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips in a large bowl and mix using a hand mixer. Set aside.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Add the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and the cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream. Gently fold the ingredients together until well combined.
- Transfer the ice cream to a loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 5 hours.
- Serve in a waffle cone!
Tips & Notes
- This is a basic cannoli filling. It can be adjusted in many ways. Add 1 tablespoon of orange zest, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, or swap the vanilla extract for peppermint or almond extract. Crushed pistachios are a great garnish option.
- This is a great dip to make on the fly or to make a day ahead of time.
- We like freezing the ice cream in a loaf pan. It has the perfect dimensions for scooping!