Do you know what really elevates a grilled cheese? A tasty layer of ham, and that is exactly what we’re doing with this delicious grilled ham and cheese recipe!
We complement our ham with white cheddar cheese and DARE you to elevate this dish even further with a spread of raspberry or onion jam. It’s *chef’s kiss.*
Yummy Grilled Cheese and Ham Sandwich
There’s a lot to love about this grilled ham and cheese. It’s the classic comfort food we all know and love but is taken a few steps further in the flavor department. The combination of salty ham, white cheddar cheese, and sweet jam will make this sweet and salty treat your new go-to recipe for grilled cheese.
To make things even better, this grilled ham and cheese is a super simple recipe. Taking only 15 minutes to make, this hearty sandwich provides you with an easy meal any time of the day. We highly recommend serving it with some soup to make it all the more delicious!
why you’ll love it!
- Oh so cheesy!
- The ham provides good protein.
- Can be ready in less than 15 minutes.
- A kid-friendly recipe.
Made with 4 Simple Ingredients
- Butter: we’re butter people when it comes to grilled cheese, but feel free to use mayo if you wish.
- White Sandwich bread: any kind of bread works for grilled cheese, but we prefer white bread for this recipe.
- Deli ham: any kind of deli ham will do. You could even use leftover holiday ham if you cut it thinner!
- White cheddar cheese: we find that white cheddar cheese tastes extra tasty with the ham, but gruyere cheese also tastes great.
- (Optional) raspberry or onion jam: raspberry jam, onion jam, or your favorite kind of jam is great for adding a little touch of fancy to this meal!
How to Make Grilled Ham and Cheese
Spread ½ tablespoon of butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Layer 3 oz. slices of ham and 2 cheese slices on the unbuttered side of each piece of bread. Then, top with the remaining bread slices.
Make It Fancy: To make this grilled cheese “fancy,” spread 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam, a savory onion jam, or your favorite jam onto the unbuttered side of a slice of bread. Then continue with assembling the sandwich.
After you’ve assembled your sandwich, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. If there is room, place both sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Then, flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
SERVE + ENJOY
There you have it! A delicious grilled ham and cheese sandwich recipe. And you know what tastes heavenly with grilled cheese? A bowl of soup!
More Ham and Cheese Recipes
What to Serve with Grilled Ham and Cheese
Here are some of our favorite soup recipes that’ll pair deliciously with this grilled ham and cheese:
- Tomato Bisque Soup
- Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Cheesy Pumpkin Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
Oh, the great debate. Should you add mayo to the outside of your bread or not? Honestly, it’s all about preference. If you’d like to add mayo, be our guest! Add a tablespoon of mayo to the outside of both pieces of bread before frying.
Two words: softened butter — it’s that simple! Cold butter tends to rip the bread (we’ve been there before), but spreading softened butter on your bread is so much easier. Butter also adds flavor to the bread, making for an even tastier grilled cheese. However, mayonnaise is an excellent substitute for butter and can make your bread extra crispy as it has a higher smoke point than butter.
While we always recommend eating grilled cheese as fresh as possible, you can always store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Grilled Ham and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 4 thick slices of white sandwich bread
- 6 oz. deli-sliced ham divided
- 4 slices white cheddar cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon Raspberry or onion jam
- Spread ½ tablespoon of butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Layer 3 oz. of ham and 2 slices of cheese on the unbuttered side of each piece of bread. Then, top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. If there is room, place both sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Then, flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
Make it fancy
- To make this grilled cheese “fancy,” spread 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam, a savory onion jam, or your favorite jam onto the unbuttered side of a slice of bread. Then continue with assembling the sandwich.
Tips & Notes
- Gruyere cheese would be an excellent substitute for white cheddar cheese.
- We used a regular loaf of sandwich bread, but any type of bread can be used.
I just love this site, you guys! I was roaming around another site, Amy’s Smelly Oven Mitt or some darn thing, and then I bopped over here to find this simple culinary jewel. So, grilled ham and cheese it shall be for dinner tonight, AND, I effing love the addition of jam; but imma go with strawberry cuz that’s the way I roll. Going with whole wheat bread, too, you monsters!
I might make some tomato soup to pair with this, or might just go with sammies and Honey Crisp apples for the fam. Sometimes getting on the tomato+ham train gives me a ticket to feels-like-I-swallowed-a-hot-coal-town, but that’s just me. Thanks for the gentle nudge toward warm and yummy.
Love how you turned this into a whole meal, Mindy!