Grilled cheese and mayo belong together! Learn how to make the most delicious grilled cheese with mayo in just 3 steps and under 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Mayo on Grilled Cheese is the BEST
We’re here to shout it from the cheesy rooftops that THE BEST way to make grilled cheese is with a healthy smear of mayo on the outside of the bread. You’ll absolutely love the golden brown crispy perfection mayo creates.
Why should I use mayonnaise instead of butter on my grilled cheese?
It is a big debate whether you should use butter or mayo to fry your grilled cheese. While both are great because they’re both fatty, we love how crispy your grilled cheese gets with mayo. Plus, it adds an extra tang!
why you’ll love grilled cheese with mayo!
- Kid friendly
- 3 ingredients
- Easy peasy to make
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
Colby jack cheese: We love the flavor that Colby jack gives grilled cheese. It’s creamy and flavorful.
Mayonnaise: The mayo is used for frying and flavor. Don’t skimp and DO NOT use vegan mayo.
Bread: Any kind of bread works for grilled cheese, but we love using a classic sandwich bread.
TYPES OF BREAD TO USE
Don’t have sandwich bread? Any kind of bread works. Here are some ideas:
- Italian bread
- white bread
- whole grain bread
TYPES OF CHEESE TO USE
If you’re a grilled cheese aficionado too, you know the cheese is where it’s at. Get creative and make it your own! We prefer our cheese pre-sliced because it’s super simple, but you can always slice or shred block cheese, too. Here are more cheese options to try:
- classic orange cheddar
- white cheddar
- pepper jack
How to Make Grilled Cheese with Mayo
Spread mayo on bread
Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
Assemble the sandwich by adding the cheese to one slice of bread and topping the cheese with the remaining slice with mayonnaise.
Fry & Serve
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and place the sandwich in. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Easy Variations for Grilled Cheese
- Add a sauce: get saucy and add your favorite sauce such as bbq, aioli, or french dressing.
- Swap the cheese: not a fan of colby jack? Use any variety of sliced cheese you’d like!
- Add a protein: add some protein to your grilled cheese and place 2 strips of cooked bacon right in between each of the 2 pieces of bread.
- Add a veggie: if I wanted to add a veggie to this, we would hands down add caramelized onions. They’re slightly sweet and make everything better.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
There is nothing better than grilled cheese with mayo and tomato soup! Speaking of soup, any kind of soup is delightful served next to a grilled cheese. Here are some other serving suggestions to turn your grilled cheese into a complete meal:
- Grilled or roasted veggies
- Field greens or a veggie-packed salad
- Chicken breast or chicken thighs
What is grilled cheese?
Grilled cheese refers to 2 pieces of bread with melted cheese in the middle usually fried on the stovetop in butter or oil or grilled on the grill. In this recipe, we’re spreading mayo on the outside of the bread for added flavor and crisp.
How do you make grilled cheese crispy?
Cook your grilled cheese over medium/high heat with mayonnaise to get a nice golden brown crispy bread. This method works whether you’re baking in the oven, cooking on the stovetop, or making in the air fryer.
While we always recommend eating grilled cheese with mayo as soon as possible after making it, you can always store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Grilled Cheese with Mayo
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices honey wheat sandwich bread
- 2 slices colby jack cheese
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread and then assemble the sandwich by adding the cheese to one slice of bread and topping the cheese with the remaining slice with mayonnaise.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and place the sandwich in. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Warning! Vegan mayo does not work.