This Ricotta Gnocchi with Sweet Pea Butter Sauce is a deliciously simple dish the whole family will enjoy!
Make our homemade ricotta gnocchi or use a store-bought version and coat every morsel in this incredible sweet pea butter sauce topped with truffle pecorino. Enjoy!
Sweet Pea Butter Sauce — A New Classic
Selecting the right sauce to dress your ricotta gnocchi can be quite daunting. From bright and vibrant homemade tomato sauce, to rich and creamy mushroom ragu – two classic options that will never go out of style.
If you’re looking for a new classic that is full of fresh flavor, perhaps this recipe for sweet pea butter will find a place in your repertoire. Tender green peas are gently simmered with butter and broth, then whizzed together into a silky smooth, bright green sauce, perfect for coating each cheesy morsel.
The truffle pecorino cheese acts as much more than a simple garnish! Thin shavings of umami-packed hard sheep’s milk cheese marbled with opulent black truffle paste adds a heady aroma and complexity to an otherwise simple dish. Try pairing this dish with a glass of Prosecco for the ultimate indulgence!
How to Make Ricotta Gnocchi with Sweet Pea Butter Sauce
Homemade gnocchi is one of our favorites in Th Cheese Knees kitchen, and today we’ve taken it up a few notches with this sweet pea butter sauce and topped it with truffle pecorino to make all your homemade ricotta gnocchi dreams come true 😀
Step 1: Make Ricotta Gnocchi
No need to feel intimidated by homemade gnocchi! This recipe is as simple as it is delicious. And we’ll walk you through the entire thing, step by step HERE.
Using store-bought gnocchi for this recipe? You’ll need 4 servings of any gnocchi.
Step 2: Prep Sweet Peas
Heat a large sauté pan over medium/high heat. Then, melt the butter and add the broth and frozen peas.
Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 4- 5 minutes, or until the peas are tender, but still a bright green color.
Step 3: Blend Sweet Pea Mixture
Transfer 2/3 of the sweet pea mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Then, return the mixture to the pan, and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
You’re saving the remaining 1/3 of the pea mixture to add great texture to this dish!
Step 4: Add Gnocchi to the Sauce
Bring to a gentle simmer and add the freshly cooked, drained gnocchi to the pan, tossing gently until the sauce has slightly thickened, and the gnocchi are evenly coated in this delicious sauce.
Season the sauce again if necessary, making sure it has enough salt and lemon juice to add a tangy brightness to the flavor.
Step 5: Top with Truffle Pecorino and ENJOY!
Serve immediately, and top with thin shavings of the truffle pecorino cheese.
Don’t have truffle pecorino? Another pecorino or parmigiano will also work! Although we do love the umami flavors of truffle pecorino — if you can find it in your grocery store, we highly recommend using it for this recipe!
Make this Dish with Surf or Turf
Looking to add a meat or seafood protein to this dish? Serve this gnocchi recipe with pan-seared seafood like diver scallops or shrimp, or grilled lemon and herb chicken or even a rack of lamb. Some of our favorites from our sister site, Fit Foodie Finds:
Make it a Side Dish or Appetizer: This dish can easily be served as an appetizer, or as a side dish to another main course.
Champagne or prosecco will pair well with the buttery sweet pea sauce and truffle flavors in this dish.
If you’re looking for a non-alcoholic option, your favorite sparkling water with a slice of lime or lemon would pair nicely as well.
More Recipes with Ricotta Cheese
Big fan of ricotta cheese?! US TOO. Check out more of our recipes that feature ricotta on The Cheese Knees:
Homemade Ricotta Gnocchi
- 15-oz. fresh Ricotta cheese, pressed dry
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1-oz. Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + more for rolling
Sweet Pea Butter Sauce
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-oz. truffle Pecorino cheese, thinly shaved
Homemade Ricotta Gnocchi
- For the homemade ricotta gnocchi, follow the instructions in THIS post.
Sweet Pea Butter Sauce
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium/high heat. Then, melt the butter and add the broth and frozen peas.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 4- 5 minutes, or until the peas are tender, but still a bright green color.
- Transfer 2/3 of the sweet pea mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and add the freshly cooked, drained gnocchi to the pan, tossing gently until the sauce has slightly thickened, and the gnocchi are evenly coated.
- Season the sauce again if necessary, making sure it has enough salt and lemon juice to add a tangy brightness to the flavor.
- Serve immediately, and top with thin shavings of the truffle Pecorino cheese.
Tips & Notes
Ricotta gnocchi– if you’d rather purchase a store-bought ricotta gnocchi or use any other kind of gnocchi, this recipe serves 4. So use 4 servings.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 573 Sugar: 6 Sodium: 816 Fat: 39 Carbohydrates: 26 Fiber: 2 Protein: 26 Cholesterol: 231
Keywords: ricotta gnocchi