This truffle mac and cheese recipe is decadent and easier to make than you think. Make a cheese sauce with a little bit of truffle oil and add your favorite pasta and you’re all set.
Delicious Truffle Mac and Cheese
Do you ever shy away from recipes with truffle in them because it feels too fancy or scary? There is no need! Truffle oil is easy to find and easy to add to every-day recipes to elevate them just a little bit.
Why you’ll love it!
- The creamy cheese sauce for this mac and cheese is so rich and flavorful.
- It’s a perfect dish to serve next to a protein or with a light salad.
- The crunchy bread crumb topping adds flavor and texture to every bite.
- Truffle oil- you can find truffle oil at most grocery stores or online. We used a white truffle oil but you can always use black truffle oil if you have to. Remember that a little goes a long way!
- Pasta- we used shells for our pasta, but you can use whatever shape you fancy.
- Sharp white cheddar cheese- we recommend using a white cheddar cheese because it pairs well with truffle. Try not to use a super strong or funky cheese for this recipe.
- Heavy cream- we used heavy cream for the cheese sauce for this recipe and it is rich. We are big fans, but you can always switch the heavy cream out with whole milk as well.
Keep a jar of truffle oil in your cupboard for an easy way to add a bit of truffle flavor to so many different recipes. You only use a little bit at a time so it lasts forever!
How to Make Truffle Mac and Cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the shells to the boiling water. Cook the noodles until al dente and then strain, rinse, and set aside for later.
- Make cheese sauce In a large saucepan create your roux by heating 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour. Cook for 1 minute or combined. Next, slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Continue whisking until all of the lumps are gone and the sauce is smooth. Whisk in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, truffle oil, and white cheddar cheese. Fold the pasta into the cheese sauce.
- Prepare the bread crumbs, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. When the butter is completely melted add the panko and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the panko is golden brown. Take off the heat and add in the minced parsley.
- Top the pasta with the bread crumbs and serve!
Mac and Cheese Sauce
No matter if you’re making stovetop mac and cheese or baked mac and cheese, this is the best mac and cheese sauce on the internet!
Top Tips for Perfect Truffle Mac and Cheese
A little goes a long way with truffle oil. We would recommend you try the sauce before adding anymore. To add more, start with ½ teaspoon increments.
We highly recommend serving this recipe immediately. It is best hot, creamy, and right away!
What is truffle mac and cheese made of?
This truffle mac and cheese is made with white truffle oil, cheddar cheese sauce, and pasta.
What does truffle mac taste like?
This truffle mac tastes like mac and cheese and rich truffle. Truffle oil is pungent, earthy, mushroomy, and an acquired taste!
How do you make mac and cheese sauce thinner?
If you would like a thinner cheese sauce for mac and cheese, add 1 tablespoon more of heavy cream or milk at a time to the cheese sauce until it reaches desired consistency.
Let mac and cheese cool completely. Then, transfer into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze mac and cheese?
We unfortunately don’t recommend freezing mac and cheese. Both noodles and dairy don’t do too well when thawing and reheating
Truffle Mac and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the medium shells according to the package instructions.
- In a large saucepan create your roux by heating 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour. Cook for 1 minute or until combined.
- Next, slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Continue whisking until all of the lumps are gone and the sauce is smooth.
- Whisk in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, truffle oil, and white cheddar cheese.
- Fold in the noodles. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.
- When the butter is completely melted add the panko and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the panko is golden brown.
- Take off the heat and add in the minced parsley.
- Top the mac and cheese and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- A little goes a long way with truffle oil. We would recommend you try the sauce before adding anymore. To add more, start with ½ teaspoon increments.