This Chicken Alfredo Lasagna is cheesy, packed with spinach, and delicious! It’s easy to make for dinner and great as leftovers for the week. Make it for your family today!
Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
Get ready to make the best lasagna recipe you’ve ever made! This Chicken Alfredo Lasagna is a delicious spin on a classic, that will leave you asking for more!
This lasagna is made with a delicious spinach cheese sauce, shredded chicken, and classic lasagna noodles! You can’t go wrong with this lasagna recipe for a delicious week night dinner, a meal for a loved one, or even a meal prep meal for the week!
All the Ingredients You Need
There isn’t anything too crazy in this Chicken Alfredo Lasagna recipe! It has all the classic flavors of chicken Alfredo meal, but mashed together with a lasagna recipe. Here is everything you need for this lasagna recipe.
- Lasagna noodles
- Chicken breast
- Olive oil
- White onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- 2 % milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Fresh thyme
- Mozzarella cheese
here’s a tip
Don’t have time to make chicken? Cut your time in half and use an already cooked rotisserie chicken and shred it! Or? Buy yourself already shredded chicken. Make it easy-peasy.
How to Make Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
Cook the noodles. First things, first. Prepare the noodles for lasagna first so you get them out of the way. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and boil the noodles until they are just slightly under cooked from al dente. You want them to have a bite so you they cook to perfection in the oven.
Once the noodles are cooked, strain them from the water and then lat the noodles out flat and drizzle them olive oil so they don’t stick together.
Make the Sauce. Before you construct the lasagna, prepare the cheese sauce for the lasagna! You are going to make an Alfredo sauce with a roux as a base that has parmesan, cheddar cheese, and mozzarella cheese mixed in and melted.
You start with a classic butter, flour, and milk roux and then slowly mix in the cheese. Its an absolutely delicious sauce.
Prep the Chicken. You have a few different options when it comes to the chicken. You can prepare chicken breasts yourself and shred them or you can buy a rotisserie chicken or pre-shredded chicken from the grocery store. Whatever is easiest!
Veggie time. The last layer to prepare is the vegetable layer! To prepare the vegetable layer you have to sauté onions, garlic, spinach, and diced tomatoes to create a flavorful vegetable layer of the lasagna.
Layer the lasagna. After all of the layers on prepared (noodles, sauce, chicken, and vegetables) it’s time to put the lasagna together. Begin by spraying a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Start by adding sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish. Then, add a layer of noodles. After the noodles, add the cheese sauce and spread it evenly over the noodles. Don’t skip this step because the sauce will cook the noodles!
After the Alfredo sauce, layer the vegetables, then the chicken, and then repeat these steps until the casserole dish is almost full. End with sauce on the top and pop the lasagna in the oven.
Bake! Place the lasagna in the oven and bake it at 375ºF for 25 minutes. Remove it from the oven, add the rest of the mozzarella and parmesan and place it back in the oven for 10-12 minutes until it’s golden brown.
It’s All About the Sauce
Alfredo sauce is traditionally a cheese sauce made with parmesan cheese. This Alfredo sauce is created with a roux base and parmesan cheese and parmesan cheese mixed in.
Here are a few tips to make sure your Alfredo sauce turns out thick and creamy!
- The roux is the base of this Alfredo sauce. You want to make sure you have a balance of fat, flour, and milk. If you don’t have butter, use olive oil., but we prefer butter for this sauce!
- To avoid grainy cheese sauce, be sure to remove the roux from the heat before adding the cheese into the cheese sauce.
- Slowly add the shredded cheese into the roux as it slowly melts into the cheese sauce.
Can I use any cheese in this recipe?
Yes, you can use any shredded cheese in this cheese sauce. However, we highly recommend using parmesan cheese and another cheese that melts easily.
How do I make this recipe vegetarian?
To make this lasagna recipe vegetarian, skip the chicken and use sautéd mushrooms! It’s the perfect vegetable to replace chicken.
Why are my noodles still crunchy?
If your lasagna noodles are still crunchy it could be for be for a few different reasons.
- You didn’t boil your noodles long enough in the salted water.
- You didn’t add enough Alfredo sauce after each lasagna noodle layer.
How do I store lasagna?
After the lasagna is cooled, place it in an air-tight container and place in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze this lasagna?
Yes, you can freeze this lasagna. Let the lasagna cool completely before placing in an air tight container and cover it with plastic wrap and then a cover. Freeze it for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat lasagna?
To reheat this lasagna after it’s been frozen, let the lasagna come to room temperature and then place it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350ºF until the lasagna has reheated.
- 16-oz. lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 10-oz. fresh spinach
- 1.5-lb. shredded chicken
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2 % milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups parmesan cheese, shredded and separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 tablespoons minced fresh thyme (+more for garnish)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fill a large pot with water and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- When the pasta has come to a boil add the lasagna noodles and stir periodically so the noodles do not stick together.
- When the noodles still have a bite to them (a little more bite than al dente) strain the water from the noodles and drizzle the noodles with olive oil. Lay the noodles out flat and set aside.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat and add olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant add the onions and ½ teaspoon of salt to the pan and sauté the onions until they are translucent (3-4 minutes).
- Add the garlic to the onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the diced tomatoes and spinach to the pan, stir, and bring the tomatoes to a boil. Turn heat to low, cover the pan, and cook the spinach and tomatoes until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and generously spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the Alfredo sauce by heating a medium saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Add butter to sauce pan and when the butter is melted add the flour to the butter and whisk them together until they form a paste.
- Slowly pour the milk into the saucepan and continue to whisk all the ingredients together until the milk thickens.
- After the sauce is thick, remove from the heat and add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese to the thickened milk and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Finally, add the salt, pepper, garlic, powder, and fresh thyme to the Alfredo sauce and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Assemble the lasagna. Use a 1/3 cup scoop and add 1/3 cup of the Alfredo sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish and spread it out.
- Next, add one layer of noodles to the bottom of the casserole dish, scoop 1/3 cup of the Alfredo sauce and a 1/3 cup of the vegetable mixture to the top of the noodles and spread it evenly over the noodles. Add 1/3 cup of shredded chicken to the top of the sauce. Repeat until all the noodles, sauce, vegetable mixture, and chicken are gone (make sure the last layer is Alfredo sauce and the vegetable mixture).
- Place the lasagna into the oven and bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and sprinkle on 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and the remaining ½ cup parmesan cheese to the top of the lasagna.
- Place the lasagna back in the oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/9 Calories: 562 Sugar: 7 Fat: 22 Carbohydrates: 53 Fiber: 4 Protein: 39
Keywords: chicken alfredo lasagna