Whip up this lasagna soup for a delicious and flavorful dinner! It is everything you love about lasagna but in soup form! A savory red sauce, lasagna noodles, and a creamy cheese mixture will send you back for seconds. YUM.
Lasagna in a Bowl
What’s better than a big slice of cheesy lasagna? Lasagna soup! The flavors are the same, but you get to eat it with a spoon and there is a delicious broth that you will slurp down every dang drop.
Do you want to know other reasons to love this lasagna soup?
- The cheesy topping of this lasagna soup is creamy, salty, and full of flavor!
- You can make a double batch of soup to serve a crowd!
- Feel free to freeze the soup for later!
- You get a good serving of vegetables!
- There are 35 grams of protein in every serving.
Ingredients for Lasagna Soup
Here is everything you need to make this soup! Though you should easily be able to find all the ingredients for this soup at any grocery store, but there are some easy substitutions you can make if you want to make changes!
- Italian pork sausage
- Ground beef
- Green pepper
- Red wine
- Crushed tomatoes
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Beef broth
- Fresh herbs
- Lasagna noodles
- Ricotta cheese
- Fresh thyme
Here’s are a Few Tips!
- Don’t skip the beef broth! The beef broth adds so much flavor and depth to this recipe!
- Break up the lasagna noodles to bite size pieces before cooking them!
How to Make Lasagna Soup
- The key to any flavorful soup is to make a strong base for a tasty broth! To do that, step one is to cook down the meat and then cooking the onions and garlic down in the meat juice. It creates a delicious fond on the bottom of the pot.
- Step two is when you deglaze the pot with red wine. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot down to get every one of those brown bits that are stuck to the pot! That will also add to delicious flavor!
- Step three you add the rest of the ingredients (except for the noodles, cheese, and spinach) and let it simmer to perfection!
- Step four is when you add the spinach to the pot just to wilt it! The spinach adds more veggies and texture to the soup,
- Step five is when you add the creamy and flavorful cheese mixture. All you have to do is add a large dollop of cheese to each bowl of soup and you’re ready to enjoy!
It’s All About the CHEESE
Does it surprise you? The cheese makes this recipe! We use a combination of mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan. You mix them together to creamy deliciousness and then add salt and thyme and you’re set!
Don’t skip on the cheese, people! If you are out of some of the cheese that this recipe calls for, feel free to use burrata, cream cheese, cottage cheese, or even asiago!
Lasagna Soup 101
Can I make this lasagna soup vegetarian?
Yes, you can make this soup vegetarian! We recommend dicing up 16 oz. of mushrooms and cooking them down instead of the meat.
Can I use different noodle in lasagna soup?
Yes, you can use a different noodle if you don’t have lasagna noodles! Feel free to use any noodle you would like!
How do I make this soup healthier?
To make this soup healthier, feel free to use a leaner meat in place of the pork and beef. You can use ground turkey or ground chicken! You may need to add a little extra salt to the broth if you do make that change!
Can you freeze lasagna soup?
Yes, you can freeze this lasagna soup. Let the soup cool completely before placing it in a freezer safe container and then place it in the freezer. You can keep it in the freezer for up to three months.
More Cheesy Recipes
- Classic Mac and Cheese
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Parmesan Cheese
- Incredible Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- 1 lb. ground Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 28-oz. crushed tomatoes
- 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 6 oz. fresh spinach
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh herb bundle, 8 sprigs fresh thyme + 8 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 15-oz. box lasagna noodles, broken up into pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, add broken up lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (about 8 minutes).
- Strain water from the pasta and rinse with cold water. Set noodles aside.
- Next, heat a separate large pot over medium/high heat. Add ground beef and ground Italian sausage to the pot and cook the meat until it’s almost all the way brown (about 5 minutes).
- Remove meat from the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving the juice from the meat in the bottom of the pot.
- Turn heat to medium heat and add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot. Sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and green pepper to the pot, stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with red wine and stir.
- Finally, add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, the rest of the salt and all the dried spices to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and add the meat back into the pot along with the spinach and fresh herb bundle.
- Let the soup simmer on low for 10-20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, add the ricotta, mozzarella , parmesan, and fresh herbs to a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Once the soup has simmered, add the noodles to the pot and stir.
- Finally, ladle the soup into bowl and top each bowl with 1/4-1/3 cup of the cheese mixture. Stir and enjoy!