This chicken cordon bleu casserole is comfort food at its finest! Made with a super creamy sauce and topped with corn flakes. Enjoy!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
It’s everything you love about chicken cordon bleu (which we also have a delish recipe for on The Cheese Knees, but in casserole form. Can I get a HECK YES?! Plus, it’s ready to serve in 45 minutes flat. What’s not to love!
why you’ll love it
Never dry: thanks to our cream cheese, mayo and mustard sauce, your chicken will be super juicy and tender.
Super cheesy: there’s Swiss cheese AND cream cheese in this chicken cordon bleu casserole.
The whole family will love it: this recipe serves 6, so it’s great for serving the whole fam or meal prepping for the week’s dinners.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Ingredients
- Creamy cordon bleu sauce: cream cheese, honey, dijon mustard and mayo.
- Seasonings: cayenne pepper, paprika, dried thyme, salt & pepper
- Shredded chicken: any variety of shredded chicken will do! We love using shredded rotisserie chicken, but shredded breasts or thighs will also work.
- Chunked thick cut ham: ham is traditional to cordon bleu dishes, but prosciutto, salami or bacon would also be delicious.
- Shredded Swiss cheese: Swiss is also a staple in chicken cordon bleu, but provolone or mozzarella would be great substitutions in a pinch.
- Cornflakes & melted butter: this combo is tossed together and sprinkled over the entire casserole before popping in the oven to crispy perfection.
Easy Ingredient Swaps
While this recipe calls for traditional chicken cordon bleu ingredients, any of the following substitutions would absolutely work as well:
Ham –> prosciutto, salami or bacon
Swiss cheese –> provolone or mozzarella
Corn flakes –> crackers, bread crumbs or bran flakes
Chicken –> shredded chicken of any kind will work! Chicken breasts, thighs or even a rotisserie chicken.
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Preheat & Prep
Preheat the oven to 350℉ and spray an 8×8 in. baking dish with cooking spray.
Stir Together Casserole Filling
Add cream cheese, honey, dijon mustard, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper into a bowl. Mix together using a hand mixer until blended and creamy.
Then add the chicken, ham, and Swiss cheese and mix together until combined.
Prepare Cornflake Topping
Pour the melted butter over the cornflakes and mix them together, and then top the casserole with cornflakes.
Bake & Enjoy!
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, and serve immediately with your favorite sides.
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to softening cream cheese the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
Use rotisserie chicken: we love using shredded rotisserie chicken for this casserole because it makes things oh so easy.
Don’t skip the cornflakes: the cornflakes are crucial to this casserole. They provide for an amazing golden brown, crispy crunch to every bite 😀
After the chicken cordon bleu casserole is baked, let cool completely before placing in an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To reheat the chicken cordon bleu casserole let it come to room temperature and then reheat covered in the oven at 350ºF until the cheese melts and the middle of the casserole is warm.
To Freeze Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
If you’re planning to freeze this casserole, wait to add the cornflakes and melted butter until you thaw it. Let the casserole cool completely before covering the entire dish with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the chicken cordon bleu casserole, let the dish come to room temperature and then top with cornflake topping. Reheat covered in the oven at 350ºF until the cheese melts and the middle is warm.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 oz. shredded chicken
- 7.5 oz. thick cut ham chunked
- 6 oz. shredded Swiss cheese ~1.5 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1.5 cups cornflakes
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add cream cheese, honey, dijon mustard, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper into a bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix together until well blended. Add the chicken, ham, and Swiss cheese and mix together until combined.
- Transfer to the baking dish and set aside.
- Pour the melted butter over the cornflakes and mix them together. Top the casserole with cornflakes. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- We used shredded chicken from the grocery store. You can cook the 12 oz. of chicken yourself and shred it or use a rotisserie chicken too.
- The ham we used was Oscar Meyer carving board ham, but any leftover ham can also be used.