This blueberry cream cheese pie is the perfect summer dessert for any occasion. Make it for your next BBQ or for a fun dessert for the family.
The Easiest Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
Who doesn’t want to prepare a dessert that tastes delicious but is easy to make? This blueberry cream cheese pie only has a few steps to take before you can serve a sweet treat to your family and friends.
We love this blueberry cream cheese pie because…
- It is creamy and tart all at the same time.
- You can make this pie in the morning and enjoy it at lunch.
- The ingredients are simple and easy to find.
Ingredients You Need
- Pie crust- you need store bought pie crust (which is what we used) or a homemade pie crust!
- Fresh blueberries- the topping for the blueberry cream cheese pie is made with fresh blueberries! You cook down the blueberries in their juices and thicken them with corn starch.
- Water– you need a little liquid to help break down the blueberries for the blueberry filling.
- Cornstarch- once the blueberries have broken down into a thicker liquid you add a little cornstarch to thicken it up! Tapioca flour should work, too!
- Honey– this pie is naturally sweetened with blueberries and honey!
- Lemon juice + zest– once of the best flavor combinations is lemon + blueberry. The tartness of the lemon juice and zest compliments the sweetness of the blueberries perfectly.
- Salt- salt enhances all of the flavors in this blueberry pie.
- Cream cheese– you want to use soften cream cheese in this recipe so there are not lumps in your pie! We recommend full fat cream cheese.
- 2% milk– to think out your cream cheese mixture you use a little milk. We used 2% but feel free to use 1% or whole milk.
- Vanilla extract– don’t skip the vanilla extract in the cream cheese filling!
- Heavy cream– you are going to whip heavy cream into whipped cream and fold it into the cream cheese mixture to make the filling nice and fluffy. You can substitute cool whip instead of making homemade whipped cream.
can i use frozen blueberries?
We highly recommend using fresh blueberries. However, this recipe can be made with frozen blueberries.
If you are going to use frozen blueberries, let them thaw completely. Then, drain excess water from the blueberries and follow the recipe as written.
How to Make Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Bake the pie crust. Whether you use a homemade pie crust or a store bought pie crust you are going to bake your pie crust at 400ºF for 10-12 minutes by itself until it is golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Prepare blueberry filling. Add cornstarch to the water and whisk until there are not lumps. Add water, blueberries, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest to a small pot. Bring to a boil. Mash the blueberries and then let the mixture simmer until thick. Set aside.
- Mix the cream cheese mixture. Add your softened cream cheese to a bowl and mix on high until smooth. This is important. We don’t want any lumps in the pie. When the cream cheese is smooth, add the honey, milk, and vanilla to the cream cheese and mix until smooth. We prefer to use a standing mixer, but an electric mixer will work, too! Set side.
- Whip the cream. Finally, add the heavy cream to a separate bowl and whip until peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until the mixture is combined, but light and fluffy!
- Assemble the pie. Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the cooled pie crust. Spread it out evenly and then pour the blueberry topping over the cream cheese filling and evenly spread the filling.
- Refrigerate + let set. Place the pie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set or longer for a firmer pie!
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to softening cream cheese the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
Tips + Tricks
Cooking Down the Blueberries.
We like to have a combination of full blueberries, mashed blueberries, and blueberry jam when we cook down the blueberries. To achieve this, be sure you are using a wooden spoon to periodically smash the blueberries while they are cooking down.
Let things cool.
Nobody likes a soggy pie! To avoid this let the pie crust cool completely before adding any of the filling.
Same goes for the blueberry filling! Let it cool before topping the cream cheese filling with the blueberry goodness!
Fun flavor add-ins
We used vanilla and lemon zest as flavors to compliment the blueberries. feel free to add almond extract instead of vanilla extract! It totally changes the flavor, but is so good!
Another fun add in is to add 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries to the cream cheese filling! It adds a fun and tart texture!
This blueberry cream cheese pie needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
- 1 store bought pie crust
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest from 1 small lemon
- Pinch of salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk any kind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and bake the pie crust for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the blueberry filling. Whisk together the water and cornstarch until there are no lumps. Add the cornstarch mixture, blueberries, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and pinch of salt to a small saucepan and mix. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Turn heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes, mashing and stirring the blueberries periodically so there are some blueberries and some blueberry puree in the pot. When the mixture is thick, remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven and let it cool completely. Set aside.
- Prepare the whipped cream topping by adding heaving cream to a cold bowl and whisking it on medium/high speed with a hand mixer or standing mixture until peaks form. Set aside.
- Next, add the cream cheese to a separate bowl and use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add honey, milk, and vanilla extract to the cream cheese mixture and mix on low until everything is combined until smooth.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture with a spatula so that the mixture remains light and fluffy.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the pie crust and spread it out evenly.
- Pour the cooled blueberry filling over the top of the cream cheese mixture and spread it out over the top of the cream cheese filling.
- Place the blueberry pie in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the pie is completely chilled, slice and serve with fresh lemon zest.