Make lobster mac and cheese in your own kitchen using fresh lobster tail, a delicious 3-cheese mac and cheese sauce, and a panko topping.
Easy Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe
We like to call lobster mac and cheese –> fancy mac and cheese because it really is! Our lobster mac and cheese recipe is made with fresh lobster tail, a 3-cheese mac and cheese sauce, and a yummy panko topping.
It’s delicious served as a special meal for the holidays or just because! Either way, you’ll have a full, happy belly from this delicious lobster mac and cheese.
Why you’ll love it!
- Super flavorful
- Easy to make
- Perfect fancy mac
- Noodles: feel free to use any kind of noodle for this mac. We used cavatappi noodles, but any noodle will work.
- Creole seasoning: creole seasoning is smokey and slightly spicy and adds so much depth to this mac and cheese recipe.
- 3 different kinds of cheese: why use 1 kind of cheese when you can use 3? We used gruyere, cheddar, and taleggio.
- Lobster meat: lobster meat is the star of the show. Fresh lobster is what we recommend and prefer!
- Anchovy paste: anchovy paste is a fun add.
- Panko breadcrumbs: a panko topping adds a nice crunch and amazing texture to every bite.
What is Taleggio cheese?
Taleggio is a cow’s milk, wash rind, Italian cheese. Do not let the smell fool you. This stinky cheese has a wonderful mild flavor. You can eat the rind, but for this recipe, we cut it off.
What kind of lobster should I use for lobster mac and cheese?
This lobster mac and cheese recipe calls for cooked lobster.
- Pre-cooked: if you can find pre-cooked lobster, feel free to use that!
- Cook your own: we prefer cooking our own lobster tail. Some easy ways to do it include steaming it and baking it. See the recipe card for directions.
How to Make Lobster Mac and Cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Then add the lobster tail and cook for 12 minutes. Drain the water and then carefully remove the meat from the tails and chop. Set aside.
Make Cheese Sauce
Bring heavy cream to a simmer and add the creole seasoning. Then, add the 3 kinds of cheese and cook until melted.
Fold in the cooked lobster and let cook for 5 more minutes.
Make PAnko Topping
Melt the butter and add the anchovy paste and garlic. Then, add the pank breadcrumbs and cook until toasted.
Toss your cooked noodles with the lobster cheese sauce and mix until combined. Then, top with the panko topping.
Serve this lobster mac and cheese as a side or a main meal! Here are some yummy serving suggestions:
Store leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb. cavatappi noodles
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 4 oz. shredded gruyere cheese ~1 cup
- 4 oz. shredded mild cheddar cheese ~1 cup
- 4 oz. cubed taleggio cheese ~1 cup
- 12 oz. lobster tail (~3 tails) chopped OR 8-oz. cooked meat
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- First, cook the lobster. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, reduce the water back to a simmer and add the lobster tail. Cook for roughly 1 minute per ounce — a total of 12 minutes. The lobster shell should be red and the meat should be opaque. Drain the lobster tails and rinse with cold water. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Next, cook the noodles. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Strain the pasta and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, bring the heavy cream to a simmer and add the creole seasoning.
- Add the gruyere, cheddar, and taleggio and heat until melted.
- Next, fold the lobster meat into the cream sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the lobster cream sauce over the noodles and stir to mix. Set aside.
- In another large skillet, melt the butter. Add the minced garlic and anchovy paste. Use the back of a spatula or a whisk to combine the anchovy paste into the butter and garlic. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Next add the panko bread crumbs to the butter mixture and cook for 5 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are golden brown and crispy.
- Top the lobster mac and cheese with the bread crumbs and serve with fresh parsley.
Tips & Notes
- You can use any noodle in this dish.
- Taleggio- a cow’s milk, wash rind, Italian cheese. Do not let the smell fool you. This stinky cheese has a wonderful mild flavor. You can eat the rind, but for this recipe, we cut it off.
- To bake your fresh lobster meat: cut the bottom of the shell open and removed the legs. Then, drizzle with olive oil and season with lemon juice and salt. Baked at 400F for 10 mins.