Say hello to the chocolate cheesecake recipe of your dreams. This silky smooth triple chocolate cheesecake is perfect for any holiday or just because.
TRIPLE Chocolate Cheesecake
When making chocolate cheesecake, we highly suggest going ALL. IN. When we say all in, we mean using 3 different kinds of chocolate in one cheesecake.
- Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Gnache
What more could you ask for in a chocolate cheesecake recipe? In this post, we’re talking all things cheesecake. We’ll teach you how to make this epic chocolate variation, plus tons of tips and tricks on how to get perfect cheesecake every time.
What does chocolate cheesecake taste like?
Chocolate cheesecake is silky smooth, slightly sweet, and oh-so chocolatey. It’s not a super sweet dessert, but it does have the perfect amount of sugar.
What You Need
Cheesecake making might seem intricate and/or stressful, but it’s really not! Just make sure you’re set up with the right cooking tools.
What I love about this cheesecake crust is that it’s so simple. It’s only 2 ingredients and the flavors together is a dream.
- Butter: you’ll need an entire stick of melted butter.
- Oreos: the crust is made up of oreo crumbs. You need around 3 cups of crumbs, which is about 1.5 rows of Oreos.
The Cheesecake Filling
This chocolate cheesecake filling is made with classic cheesecake ingredients including cream cheese, sugar, and eggs. Here’s what else you need:
- Whole milk: the whole milk helps melt the chocolate.
- Semi-sweet chocolate: semi-sweet chocolate is what makes this chocolate cheesecake chocolatey. We used a brick of chocolate, but chocolate chips would work too.
- Cream cheese: make sure to buy full-fat cream cheese.
- Granulated sugar: white sugar is best in this recipe and we don’t recommend swapping it for anything else.
- Eggs: eggs are used as a bind for cheesecake and give it their classic creamy texture. They are absolutely essential so don’t swap these or leave them out.
- Vanilla: a little goes a long way.
- All-purpose flour: flour helps prevent the chocolate cheesecake from cracking. It’s optional, but we prefer to use it.
How to Make Chocolate Cheesecake
While there are quite a few steps to this chocolate cheesecake recipe, it’s so much easier to make than you think!
- Mix Crust: mix oreo crumbs with melted butter until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of your springform pan and pack it tightly.
- Bake Crust: bake at 350ºF for 8-10 minutes.
- Melt Chocolate: heat milk until it’s steaming. Then, add chocolate and whisk until melted. Set aside.
- Make Cheesecake Filling: beat cream cheese and sugar for a few minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add Eggs and Chocolate Mixture: add eggs one at a time and mix on low. Then add the cooled chocolate mixture, vanilla, and flour and mix until combined.
- Bake: pour cheesecake over the crust and bake at 350ºF for 50-55 minutes or until is slightly jiggly.
- Chill: turn off the oven and crack the oven door. Cool for at least 1 hour before transferring into the fridge to continue chilling.
How to Prevent Your Cheesecake From Cracking
Don’t Over-Mix: a good rule of thumb when it comes to baking, in general, is not to over-mix, especially overbeat the eggs. This can cause cracking in cheesecake.
Slowly Cool: you’ll notice we are taking precautions in step 8 to slowly cool the cheesecake. Instead of removing the cheesecake from the oven immediately, crack the door open and let it cool for 1 hour before removing from the oven.
Add Flour: by adding a few tablespoons of flour into the cheesecake, this helps prevent cracking as well.
Chocolate Ganache Topping Idea
Every chocolate cheesecake needs more chocolate, which is why we topped ours with a simple chocolate ganache!
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
Melt 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of chopped chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir until well combined. Spread the mixture over the cheesecake and place it in the fridge until set— about 10 minutes.
Store cheesecake in an airtight container (or covered) in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
- 3 cups oreo crumbs about 1.5 rows of cookies
- 1 stick butter melted
- ½ cup whole milk
- 10 oz. semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- 24 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour optional*
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oreo crumbs and melted butter together until they resemble wet sand. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and pack it tightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the crust is just set.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the milk in a microwave-safe bowl or small saucepan, just until it starts to steam.
- Add the chopped chocolate and whisk until the chocolate is melted and fully combined. Set aside to cool while you continue.
- Add the cream cheese and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, or until the cream cheese is smooth and creamy.
- Next, add the eggs one at a time and mix on low speed to incorporate each egg before adding the next one.
- Now, add the cooled chocolate mixture along with the vanilla extract and flour. Mix just until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour the cheesecake layer over the crust and cook for 50-55 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center jiggles just slightly when shaken.
- Turn the oven off and crack the oven door. Allow the cheesecake to cool for one hour. (This step is optional but will help prevent the cheesecake from cracking).
- Remove the cooled cheesecake from the oven and transfer it to the fridge to chill, at least 4 hours but overnight is preferred.
- Once cooled, slice and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Tips & Notes
- Flour: flour helps prevent the cheesecake from cracking. It's optional, but we prefer it.
- Chocolate ganache topping: we topped the cheesecake with chocolate ganache and whipped cream— but this is completely optional! To make the ganache, melt 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of chopped chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir until well combined. Spread the mixture over the cheesecake and place it in the fridge until set— about 10 minutes. Then add the whipped cream and serve!