This deliciously decadent strawberries and cream stuffed French toast is perfect for your next brunch or special occasion.
It doesn’t get any better than brioche bread French toast stuffed with a strawberries and cream cheese filling!
Stuffed French Toast for Brunch!
Is there anything better than French toast for brunch?! YES! And it’s STUFFED French toast. You’re going to love this strawberries and cream stuffed French toast that is perfectly sweet and fruity.
We’ll walk you through how to make this stuffed French toast as well as a few serving suggestions to round out your breakfast. Let’s do this, shall we?!
Stuffed French Toast – What You Need
This stuffed French toast looks (and tastes!) oh so fancy, but comes together in a short list of simple ingredients. You’ll need:
- Eggs: this recipe calls for 3 large eggs. We recommend large eggs to ensure your bread has enough liquid to soak up before frying!
- Milk: any kind of milk works for French toast. Feel free to use a dairy-free milk such as almond milk or cow’s milk, too.
- Vanilla extract: you can’t go wrong with a hint of vanilla when it comes to French toast!
- Thick-cut bread: we love a good thick-cut bread for French toast. You can use any artisan bread or brioche. White bread varieties will soak up the egg mixture a lot easier than whole grain.
- Butter: when in doubt, fry in butter!
For the filling
The filling for this stuffed French toast is what dreams are made of. You’ll fold together the the following ingredients, and spread this goodness across your slices of brioche bread:
- Fresh strawberries: we like to dice our strawberries fairly small to ensure you get that delicious berry flavor in every bite of French toast.
- Softened cream cheese: you’ll wan to make sure the cream cheese is softened so you don’t squish and flatten your brioche bread.
- Granulated sugar: this will add a touch of sweetness to the filling!
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
Prepare French Toast Filling
In a small bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese and granulated sugar until smooth. Then, add the chopped strawberries and stir them in gently until everything is combined.
Whisk Egg Mixture
In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
Pro tip: make sure your bowl is wide enough for a slice of brioche bread to lay flat on the bottom of the bowl.
Stuff the Bread
Divide the cream cheese mixture between 4 slices of bread. Top each cream cheese slice with another slice of bread, and press down gently to seal in the cream cheese mixture.
Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and then add one tablespoon of butter and allow it to melt before frying your French toast.
Dip & Fry
Then, dip one of the sandwiches into the egg mixture (make sure to get both sides fully coated!) and then place it carefully into the hot pan.
Cook each sammie for 1-2 minutes per side, or until it is crisp and golden brown.
Repeat this step with each of the remaining French toast sandwiches.
Garnish & Enjoy!
Top with your desired garnishes and enjoy immediately with any of the recipe pairings below.
Stuffed French Toast Tips & Tricks
Choosing Cream Cheese
We opted for a plain cream cheese because it gives a creamy tangy flavor to the French toast that goes great with strawberries. If you’d like to use a flavored cream cheese, go for it! Some delicious options are:
- Cinnamon sugar cream cheese
- Strawberry cream cheese
- Blueberry cream cheese
- Honey pecan cream cheese
Pro tip: if you use a sweeter flavored cream cheese, feel free to omit the granulated sugar.
Do you need Granulated Sugar?
The sugar adds a bit of extra sweetness to the filling. If you have super sweet strawberries, feel free to leave it out.
substitutions for strawberries
Strawberries are a great fruit to add to the stuffed french toast but feel free to swap out 1:1 for raspberries or blueberries, if you prefer.
Milk + Eggs Mixture
Eggs make up the base of our French toast dipping mixture, and the milk helps thin out the batter to ensure a smooth, even coating for frying. Skipping the milk will result in too thick of a mixture for dipping.
Choosing the right bread
Brioche is a great bread option for stuffed French because it’s thick, rich and sturdy, which will help keep the stuffing inside the bread. You can also use Texas toast or a thick-cut white bread if you don’t have brioche.
Meal Prepping + Storage
We don’t recommend storing these sandwiches for later, as the cream cheese will make the bread soggy in the refrigerator. This stuffed French toast is best enjoyed immediately!
Toppings for Stuffed French Toast
Now that you’ve whipped up a perfect batch of stuffed French toast, it’s time to top these delicious slices with even more deliciousness. We recommend:
- Drizzle of maple syrup, of course!
- more fresh berries
- peanut butter
- walnuts or pecans
- powdered sugar
Round out the perfect brunch with any of the following recipes we have here on The Cheese Knees or our sister site, Fit Foodie Finds:
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast
- In a small bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Add the chopped strawberries and stir them in gently.
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture between 4 slices of bread. Top each one with another slice of bread and press down gently to seal in the cream cheese mixture.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of butter and allow it to melt.
- Then, dip one of the sandwiches into the egg mixture (make sure to get both sides fully coated) and then place it carefully into the hot pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until it is crisp and golden brown.
- Repeat step 6 with the remaining sandwiches.
- Top with your desired garnishes, and serve warm.