The most gorgeous stack of pancakes you ever did see. Make these fluffy chocolate chip ricotta pancakes for a light and fluffy pancake recipe!
Easy Ricotta Pancake Recipe!
In case you were wondering, we’re obsessed with all things ricotta pancakes. We love how fluffy and moist they come out and how versatile they are when it comes to flavor them.
Our blueberry ricotta pancakes are a personal favorite, but I’m obviously all for a pancake recipe that includes chocolate chips!
All of our ricotta pancake recipes call for whole milk ricotta, which is thick and creamy. If you’re feeling fancy, you can even make our own homemade ricotta cheese.
Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best! This recipe calls for classic ingredients:
- Ricotta cheese: make sure to buy whole milk ricotta cheese for this recipe. It adds a creaminess and richness to these pancakes.
- Whole milk: whole milk adds moisture.
- Eggs: eggs help bind the batter together.
- Butter: adds a richness and moistness.
- Vanilla: helps enhance the flavor of the chocolate chips.
- Flour: all-purpose flour is the base of the pancakes. Make sure to measure properly so you don’t end up with super dense pancakes!
- Sugar: sugar adds a tiny bit of sweetness to these pancakes and also bring out the flavor of the chocolate chips.
- Baking powder: this helps the pancakes rise.
- Chocolate chips: we used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but any kind including milk chocolate and dark chocolate will work.
How to Make Ricotta Cheese
Homemade ricotta cheese is a brilliant way for anyone to begin their journey into home cheesemaking. The magic of turning fresh milk and cream into delicate curds and whey is deeply satisfying and deliciously simple!
How thick should my batter be?
The batter for your chocolate chip ricotta pancakes should be on the thicker side. Don’t worry, they’ll come out nice and moist!
What can I use instead of whole milk ricotta cheese?
Can’t find whole milk ricotta? Try using partial fat ricotta cheese. You can always add more butter. If you can’t find ricotta, try using cottage cheese.
Are ricotta pancakes healthy?
We wouldn’t consider this recipe a healthy pancake recipe since it uses all-purpose flour, butter, and sugar.
How to Store Pancakes
Let pancakes cool completely. Then, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- Let pancakes cool completely.
- Stack 2 or 3 pancakes together and wrap them in a piece of tin foil.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Thaw Frozen Pancakes
Our favorite way to thaw frozen pancakes is to pop them right into the toaster. It defrosts and heats them up at the same time!
Chocolate Chip Ricotta Pancakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Next add the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Whisk just until no large lumps remain.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold them gently into the batter.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Grease it with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon ¼ cup-sized pancakes onto the skillet (making sure not to overcrowd the pan) and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. You’ll know the pancakes are ready to flip when they start to bubble on top and turn golden brown around the edges.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 with the remaining pancake batter.
- Serve immediately, topped with your favorite garnishes. Store any leftover pancakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.