Get dipping, cheese lovers! This pretzel cheese dip is super creamy and easily made on the stove-top. Pair with soft pretzels, and enjoy this ultimate appetizer!
Seriously the BEST Pretzel Cheese Dip
This pretzel cheese dip is such a fun and easy appetizer! All you need is to pair with your favorite soft pretzel and you’re off and dipping into one of our favorite cheesy apps.
Whether you’re whipping this up for the next game day, or just serving as a fun appetizer or side for the fam, this pretzel cheese dip will not disappoint!
Pretzel Cheese Dip – What You Need
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 % milk
- Minced serrano peppers
- Minced garlic cloves
- Diced white onion
- Olive oil
- Salted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Dijon mustard
- Red pepper flakes
How to Make Pretzel Cheese Dip
This pretzel cheese dip comes together in 5 simple steps! Feel free to make it right before serving or keep warm over low heat til you’re ready to DIP.
Sauté Peppers & Onions
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat, and add olive oil. When the olive oil is fragrant, then add the white onion, serrano pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of salt to the saucepan. Sauté the onion and serrano pepper together for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. This simple step will add incredible flavor to your cheese dip!
Remove the onion and pepper from the pan and set aside for later.
Make the Roux
Prepare a roux for the base of the cheese sauce by heating the same saucepan over medium/high heat, and then adding butter.
When the butter is melted, add flour and whisk until the butter and flour form a crumble.
Then slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until the roux thickens. Whisk constantly to avoid the milk from burning!
Time to Add the Cheese
When the roux is thick, turn the heat to low and slowly add the shredded cheese to the roux, whisking constantly until all the cheese is added and melted. Keep whisking constantly to avoid uneven heating of your cheese sauce!
Last Flavor Additions
Remove from heat, and whisk the following into your cheese dip:
- dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- red pepper flakes.
Pro tip: Feel free to add more red pepper flakes or a spicy mustard if you like things a little on the hotter side!
Serve & Enjoy!
Serve immediately with warm soft pretzels or keep over low heat, stirring periodically until ready to serve.
Store-Bought vs. Homemade Soft Pretzels
If you’re in a pinch store-bought soft pretzels pair perfectly with this pretzel cheese dip. But if you’re really going for it, try our soft pretzel recipe over on our sister site, Fit Foodie Finds!
Pretzel Cheese Dip Tips & Tricks
Don’t Melt Cheese Over High Heat
While it’s definitely okay to sauté the onions and peppers over higher heat, DO NOT add in the cheese over high heat. Cheese is finicky and drastic temperature changes can cause it to become clumpy and grainy.
Make Sure You Stir dat Cheese
We love a good low-maintenance melting recipe, but this cheese dip requires stirring throughout the roux-making process as well as when adding the shredded cheese to the pot. This will result in the most creamy pretzel cheese dip you ever did see 😀
SPICE TO YOUR LIKING!
Like a little more kick to your pretzel cheese dip? YOU DO YOU! Feel free to add additional spices that pack a punch like cayenne or your favorite hot sauce or even amp up the red pepper flakes or use a spicy mustard.
This cheese dip is relatively mild when the recipe is followed exactly 😀
This recipe can easily be doubled if you’re serving a larger group. Just make sure your pot is large enough to accommodate all that cheese!
Reversely, you can cut this recipe in half to serve a smaller group as well. Just make sure you’re stirring frequently as the cooking / melting time will likely be less than a full batch!
What Else to Serve With This Dip
Go on and get creative with what you dip into this pretzel cheese dip deliciousness! Obviously a traditional soft pretzel will do the trick, or jazz it up with tortilla chips or broccoli florets. The options are endless. We love:
- Soft pretzels — obviously 😀
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced red, green or yellow peppers
- Sliced carrots
- Broccoli or cauliflower florets
- Drizzle over tacos, fajitas or quesadillas!
How to Store Pretzel Cheese Dip
Store this pretzel cheese dip in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When Reheating Cheese Dip: we recommend reheating just like it’s cooked — LOW AND SLOW! Reheat in the slow cooker or stovetop on low, stirring frequently. This will help prevent any separating or uneven reheating.
Freezing Cheese Dip: because cheese has a difficult time with drastic temperature changes, we do NOT recommend freezing this pretzel cheese dip!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ teaspoon salt, separated
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- 10-oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant add the white onion, serrano pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of salt to the saucepan.
- Sauté the onion and serrano pepper together for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Remove the onion and pepper from the pan and set aside.
- Prepare a roux for the base of the cheese sauce. Heat the same saucepan over medium/high heat. Add butter.
- When the butter is melted add flour and whisk until the butter and flour form a crumble.
- Slowly add milk to the pot, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk the roux over medium/high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until the roux thickens.
- When the roux is thick, turn the heat to low and slowly add the shredded cheese to the roux, whisking constantly until all the cheese is added and melted.
- Remove from heat and whisk the dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes into the cheese dip.
- Serve immediately with warm soft pretzels or keep over low heat, stirring periodically until ready to serve.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 170 Sugar: 3 Sodium: 384 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 8 Fiber: 0 Protein: 6 Cholesterol: 33
Keywords: pretzel cheese dip