This Velveeta chili cheese dip is super creamy, cheesy and ready to serve in 30 minutes. Grab a bag of chips and let’s eat some dip!
The BEST Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
If chili cheese dip could get ANY more delicious, this recipe is it! It’s everything you love about a more traditional chili cheese dip made even creamy and cheesier with Velveeta cheese. Everyone is sure to love this amazing dip — let’s make it!
why you’ll love it!
One pot: all you need is one pot on the stovetop to make this amazing Velveeta chili cheese dip.
Super creamy: Velveeta cheese is notorious for being super creamy and delicious, and pairs so nicely with the chili flavors of this dip.
Quick appetizer: this recipe comes together in 30 minutes flat!
- Onion & green bell pepper: sautéing the onion and bell pepper with the beef enhances the taste of the beef, making for a more flavorful dip.
- Ground beef: we prefer to use ground beef, but any ground meat will do.
- Spices: we’re using a simple combination of chili powder, cumin, garlic and salt for this Velveeta chili cheese dip.
- Velveeta cheese: is there anything creamier and cheesier than Velveeta? This ingredient is single-handedly the star of the show.
- Tomato paste & diced tomatoes: can’t have a chili cheese dip without tomatoes! We’re using a combination of tomato paste and diced tomatoes.
How to Make Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
Saute Veggies & Ground beef
Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the onions, peppers, and ground beef, and cook until the beef is cooked through and the onions and peppers are soft.
Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt, and cook for another minute.
Add tomatoes & Velveeta
Add the tomato paste and mix until it has completely coated the meat and veggies.
Next, add the tomatoes and bring them to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the Velveeta, stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
Serve & Enjoy!
Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Serve in the slow cooker to keep warm!
As Velveeta chili cheese dip sits, it’s going to thicken, which is why we recommend transferring the dip into a slow cooker and serving on warm or low to keep it creamy and warm.
Toppings for Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
This Velveeta chili cheese dip is delicious as is, but if you’re looking to jazz it up when serving, consider topping with any of the following:
- Green onion
- Sliced avocado
- Diced tomato
- Sliced jalapeños
- Sour cream
What to Serve with Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
- Tortilla Chips
- Sliced bell peppers
- Drizzle over tacos, nachos or sloppy joes!
Top Tips for Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
This recipe can easily be doubled if you’re serving a larger group. Just make sure your pot is large enough to accommodate all that Velveeta chili cheese dip!
Reversely, you can cut this recipe in half to serve a smaller group as well. Just make sure you’re stirring frequently as the cooking / melting time will likely be less than a full batch.
Make it vegetarian
Make this Velveeta chili cheese dip vegetarian by subbing 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed, for the ground beef. It adds amazing flavor and plant protein.
DON’T MELT CHEESE OVER HIGH HEAT
While it’s definitely okay to sauté the onions, peppers and ground beef over higher heat, DO NOT add in the Velveeta cheese over high heat. Cheese is finicky and drastic temperature changes can cause it to burn.
SPICE TO YOUR LIKING!
Like a little more kick to your Velveeta chili cheese dip? GO FOR IT! Feel free to add additional spices that pack a punch like red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce or even throw in sliced jalapeños with seeds if you’re feeling super spicy.
This Velveeta chili cheese dip is mild when the recipe is followed exactly 😀
How do you keep Velveeta cheese dip creamy?
We recommend serving this Velveeta chili cheese dip in a slow cooker on warm / low to keep it extra creamy.
What makes Velveeta creamy?
The emulsifiers in Velveeta cheese help to keep it creamy regardless of temperature.
Transfer this chili cheese dip into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to Reheat
We recommend reheating this Velveeta chili cheese dip just like you cooked it — on the stovetop.
- Transfer it back into a medium saucepan.
- Turn the heat to medium/low and stir as the cheese melts.
- Add a little bit of milk to thin things out.
Microwave Instructions: if you’d like to reheat in the microwave, transfer the Velveeta chili cheese dip into a microwave-safe bowl. Add a little milk and microwave on high for 60 seconds. Stir and continue microwaving until warm.
Freezing Cheese Dip: because cheese has a difficult time with drastic temperature changes, we do NOT recommend freezing this Velveeta chili cheese dip.
Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ large white onion diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- 8 oz. 85/15% ground beef
- 1 garlic clove peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14.5 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 16 oz. Velveeta original cubed
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the onions, peppers, and ground beef. Cook until the beef is cooked through and the onions and peppers are soft. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt, and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste and mix until it has completely coated the meat and veggies, cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add the tomatoes and bring them to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the Velveeta. Cook until the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Tips & Notes
- This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and put in a slow cooker. Use the keep warm setting.
- Make this vegetarian by subbing 1 can of black beans for the ground beef.
Use leftovers to make burritos.