If you believe mint and chocolate are the perfect match, you’ll love these peppermint cream cheese chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting!
Our homemade chocolate cupcakes are infused with peppermint extract AND have a cream cheese swirl that is ridiculously rich and creamy.
The BEST Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
I don’t know about you, but I’m always craving peppermint and chocolate when the holidays come around. Sure, these flavors are great by themselves. But put them together, and it’s MAGIC.
But who am I kidding? I could go for mint chocolate any time of the year, and I know many others do too! These peppermint cream cheese chocolate cupcakes are PERFECT for any party, get-together, or holiday gathering.
Top your cupcakes with some crushed peppermint candies, and these yummy cupcakes are sure to turn heads.
why you’ll love ’em!
- Simple Buttercream: This recipe uses an easy buttercream frosting that requires only 4 simple ingredients.
- Perfect Holiday Dessert: These cupcakes will satisfy all of your peppermint-chocolate cravings this holiday season!
- Tastes AMAZING: The cream cheese swirl adds a rich and creamy layer to these mint chocolate cupcakes that are absolutely YUMMY.
All-purpose flour: keeps everything light and fluffy!
Baking soda + baking powder: we use both baking soda and baking powder because it helps make this cake a lighter cupcake rather than a dense cake.
Cocoa powder: gives these cupcakes a yummy chocolate flavor. Make sure to buy unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe.
Eggs: this recipe calls for 3 large eggs.
Sour cream: provides extra moisture for wonderfully soft chocolate cupcakes.
Cream cheese: these cupcakes have a cream cheese buttercream frosting as well as a tasty cream cheese swirl in the cupcake itself!
Peppermint extract: gives these cupcakes that signature minty cool taste that tastes amazing with chocolate.
Vanilla extract: a hint of vanilla is excellent for bringing out the chocolatey flavor.
Crushed peppermint candies: sprinkle these on top of your frosting for an added visual touch and a tasty, satisfying crunch. You can also use candy canes if you wish!
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
These peppermint cupcakes pair perfectly with our cream cheese buttercream frosting recipe!
How to Make Peppermint Cream Cheese Chocolate Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line your muffin pan with liners.
MIX DRY + WET INGREDIENTS
In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients and whisk them together.
Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl. Cream for 1-2 minutes. Then, add the remaining wet ingredients and whip until combined.
Slowly transfer the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and set aside.
MAKE CREAM CHEESE SWIRL
Add cream cheese, 1 large egg, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract to a small bowl and mix with a hand mixer.
ASSEMBLE CUPCAKE BATTER + BAKE
Scoop about ¼ cup of the cupcake mix into each muffin liner. Then pour your cream cheese swirl mix on top of the cupcake batter.
Next, use the tip of a knife or toothpick to swirl the cream cheese swirl into the top of the batter. Bake for 18-22 minutes. When done baking, allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting.
While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Add the cream cheese and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and whip until fully combined and fluffy.
Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix on low until well blended. Once the sugar has been mixed in, increase the speed.
Amp up the peppermint flavor by turning your basic cream cheese frosting into a peppermint cream cheese frosting! Just add a few drops of peppermint extract to your frosting and mix. Make sure not to add too much; otherwise, it may be overkill.
FROST YOUR CUPCAKES
Now it’s time to frost your cupcakes! Frost immediately after you’ve made your frosting and the cupcakes have completely cooled.
Store any leftover frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy your delicious cupcakes!
Adding sour cream or yogurt to your cupcakes will help keep them moist and fresh. We used sour cream to make this cupcake recipe, and the results are phenomenal!
To get fluffy cupcakes, you need to create air bubbles in your batter that’ll expand in the oven. Don’t overmix your batter. Otherwise, you’ll collapse those bubbles and have denser, brick-like cupcakes. To avoid this, always mix at low speed, stopping when everything is just blended.
Yes, you can freeze these cupcakes. Let the cupcakes cool completely before placing them into a freezer-safe bag, and then add them to the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can make these cupcakes a few days before serving them. Make the cupcakes and freeze them. Take them out 6-8 hours before serving and let them thaw. Frost them before serving!
We recommend storing these cupcakes without the frosting and adding the frosting right before serving them. Let the cupcakes cool completely before adding them to an airtight container or bag until ready to use.
*The cupcakes will last longer in the refrigerator.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Chocolate Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Swirl
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature (~1 stick)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crushed peppermint/candy canes for topping
- First, preheat the oven to 350℉ and spray and line a muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, whisk together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil for 1-2 minutes. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and whip until everything is well combined. Slowly transfer the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- To make the cream cheese swirl, add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix with a hand mixer.
- Scoop ¼ cup of the cupcake mix into each muffin liner. Then, add 1-2 tablespoons of the cream cheese swirl mix to the top of each muffin. Using the tip of a knife or a toothpick, swirl the cream cheese swirl into the top of the batter. Bake for 18-22 Minutes. Cool before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Place the cream cheese and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip together until well combined and fluffy.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Starting on low, mix together until well blended. The speed can be increased once most of the sugar has been mixed in.
- Frost immediately and store any remaining frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tips & Notes
- The cream cheese swirl should be thinner than the cupcake batter.
- We used peppermint extract in this recipe; almond or vanilla extract would be great alternatives. Equally, peppermint extract could be added or subbed into the frosting.
- Avocado or corn oil could be used as an alternative to vegetable oil.
- Cream cheese frosting will harden in the fridge. To frost at a later time, remove frosting from the fridge and let it come to room temperature, about 20-30 minutes.