Who doesn’t love a quick, easy meal ready in minutes? This Microwave Mac and Cheese recipe is the perfect solution for those busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen!
Easy Microwave Mac and Cheese
Looking for a quick and easy way to satisfy your mac and cheese cravings? Look no further than this microwave mac and cheese recipe! With just a few basic ingredients and a couple of minutes in the microwave, you can enjoy a warm and comforting bowl of creamy, CHEESY goodness anytime, anywhere.
Whether you’re a busy college student looking for a quick meal between classes or just craving a late-night snack, this recipe is the perfect solution. So grab your favorite mug or microwavable bowl, and let’s get cooking!
why you’ll love it!
- Quick and convenient for those with a busy schedule and need to whip up a quick, cheesy dish in a few minutes!
- It uses just a few simple ingredients to create a delicious and satisfying meal in no time!
- The single-serving size makes it perfect when you just need a quick bite.
- Easily customizable to satisfy your cheesy comfort food cravings!
- Artificial flavors? We don’t know her! This recipe uses real food and leaves out the fake stuff.
Microwave Mac and Cheese – What You Need
- Elbow macaroni pasta noodles: Essential for any mac and cheese recipe. The elbow shape is perfect for holding onto the creamy sauce!
- Water and salt: Cook the noodles in the microwave while the salt adds flavor to the dish.
- Milk: We use whole milk for this recipe. It helps to create a creamy sauce that coats the noodles and gives the dish its signature texture.
- Shredded cheese: We use cheddar cheese for this recipe, but you can experiment with different types of cheese to find your favorite! It gives the dish its cheesy flavor and ooey-gooey texture.
How to Make Microwave Mac and Cheese
PREP + COOK NOODLES
Place the noodles and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes until noodles are al dente.
MIX IT ALL TOGETHER
Remove the bowl from the microwave and add salt, milk, and cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
If necessary, microwave for 15-second intervals until the desired consistency is reached.
SERVE + ENJOY
Serve immediately and enjoy your homemade microwave mac and cheese!
- Bacon pieces
- Fresh herbs
- Bread crumbs
- Hot sauce
Top Tips for Delicious Microwavable Mac and Cheese
- Use a microwavable bowl or dish that is large enough to hold the ingredients and has a lid or plastic wrap to cover it.
- Add the water in 30-second increments to prevent boiling over and ensure that the noodles cook evenly.
- Stir the noodles frequently between increments to help prevent clumping.
- Once the mac and cheese is cooked, let it sit for a minute or two to cool slightly before serving. It will be very hot straight out of the microwave.
What to Serve With Microwave Mac and Cheese
Nothing beats a homemade macaroni dish with some great sides. Here are some of our favorites featured on our sister site, Fit Foodie Finds:
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs have a nice spicy kick and are sure to hit the spot!
- Having a summer cookout? Pair your mac and cheese with this Tender Instant Pot Pulled Pork to create the ultimate combo!
- Although it might seem like steak and mac and cheese don’t go together – trust us, they do, especially when paired with this Juicy Air Fryer Steak!
- Having people over for a game or get-together, then pairing these Baked Chicken Legs with your creamy microwave mac and cheese is the way to go!
How can I make my sauce creamier in microwave mac and cheese?
You can add a bit of butter or coconut oil to the mix, along with the milk and cheese.
What types of cheese can I use in a microwave mac and cheese recipe?
Experiment with any of your favorite cheeses, such as sharp cheddar, American cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and white cheddar!
How can I reduce the calories in microwave mac and cheese?
You can use low-fat milk and reduced-fat cheese to lower the calorie content!
Can I use a milk alternative?
Absolutely! Here are some milk substitutes you could use in this recipe: Almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, and soy milk!
To store leftover microwave mac and cheese, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 4 days.
How to Freeze
For longer storage, you can freeze the mac and cheese. Transfer it to a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag, label it with the date, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat
- To reheat the refrigerated or frozen mac and cheese, transfer it to a microwave-safe plate or bowl and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap, leaving a small vent for the steam to escape.
- Microwave on high power in 30-second increments, stirring after each interval until it reaches the desired temperature.
Note: Be careful not to overcook the mac and cheese when reheating it, as it can become dry and rubbery. Aim for a creamy consistency, and add a bit of milk or cream cheese if necessary to achieve the right consistency.
Microwave Mac and Cheese
- ½ cup elbow macaroni noodles
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 oz. shredded cheddar cheese ~½ cup
- Place the noodles and water into a microwave-safe bowl. Stir and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and add the salt, milk, and cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. If the cheese is not melting well, microwave for 15-second intervals until desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- We used cheddar cheese in this recipe, but you can use pretty much any cheese as a substitute.
- The bowl will be incredibly hot when removed from the microwave.