Are you looking for a low carb cheesy tortilla recipe? We’ve got you covered. Skip the tortilla next time and make a delicious cheese taco shell. All you need is a piece of cheese and a small skillet pan!
The Best Cheese Tortilla Recipe
What’s better than a tortilla with all of your favorite fixings? A CHEESY tortilla topped with all of your favorite taco fixings! You can make a cheese tortilla with just one slice of cheese and then the options for cheesy meals are endless.
Whether you are looking for a cheese tortilla for a quesadilla, taco, or nachos, this is a fool proof way to make a delicious cheese tortilla.
We love this cheese tortilla recipe because..
- They are ready in just minutes.
- These cheese tortillas are a great low carb option.
- You can use these cheese tortillas to elevate many different meals.
Ingredients You Need
I kid you not, you only need two ingredients to prep these cheese tortillas.
All you need is one cheese slice to make a cheese tortilla. The cheese slice melts into a delicious and crispy tortilla-like shape.
We recommend using a round cheddar cheese slice, but you can use any type of cheese as well as a square cheese slice, too.
Below are different cheese slice options that would all make delicious cheese tortillas.
here’s a tip
It is easier to make these cheese tortillas when they are round! If you do use a square slice of cheese, trim the corners of the slice of cheese to make a circle.
You need a little olive oil to grease a pan so that the cheese doesn’t get stuck to the pan.
How to Make Homemade Cheese Tortillas
All you need is a non-stick skillet, a cheese slice, and olive oil to make these cheese tortillas.
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Add olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add the cheese slice to the skillet.
- Heat the cheese slice until it begins to bubble and brown around the edges. It will start to melt immediately, but it will take around 4-5 minutes to get nice and crispy.
- Remove the cheese slice from the skillet and place the cheese tortilla on a plate to cool. If you would like to make a traditional hard shell taco shape, immediately drape the hot cheese tortilla over a wooden spoon and allow the taco shell to harden.
- Once the cheese tortilla has hardened and cooled create a taco, quesadilla, or nachos by adding your favorite fixings.
How do I use these cheese tortillas?
Once you have made your cheese tortillas you have many options on how you want to eat them! Below are are favorite ways to use these low carb cheese tortillas!
These cheese tortillas are so insanely delicious as quesadillas! To assemble the quesadilla, make two cheese tortillas.
- Spread and sprinkle your favorite quesadilla fillings on the bottom cheese tortilla. We recommend guacamole, Greek yogurt, red onion, ground beef, and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Top your quesadilla fillings with the second crispy cheese tortilla and then cut the quesadilla into quarters with a sharp knife in a flat, firm downward motion to avoid the cheese tortillas from cracking.
Once you have shaped your taco shell, fill the taco shell with shredded chicken or ground beef and top with Greek yogurt and cilantro.
Make 4-6 crispy cheese tortillas. Once they are cooled, carefully cut the cheese tortillas into fourths (like tortillas chips).
Spread the cheese slices out on a baking sheet or a platter and top with your favorite nacho toppings.
Once fried and cooled, place the cheese taco shells into an air tight container. They will keep for 3-5 days.
Cheese Taco Shells
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 round cheddar cheese slice
- Drizzle olive oil in a nonstick frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Place one round piece of cheese into the pan and heat the cheese wrap until it begins to bubble and brown around the edges. It will start to melt immediately, but it will take around 4-5 minutes to get nice and crispy.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the crispy cheese tortilla cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes. As it cools it will harden even more.
- Carefully remove the crispy cheese tortilla from the pan with a spatula and set it on a plate.
- If you are planning on keeping the tortilla flat, leave the tortilla on the plate. If you would like to make a 'hard shell taco' shape, drape the cheese tortilla over the end of a wooden spoon so the sides are hanging on each side of the spoon (upside down).