This chicken broccoli alfredo is an easy one-skillet recipe that is the epitome of comfort. Juicy chicken breast is cooked in a creamy homemade alfredo sauce with al dente pasta and tender broccoli florets to create the perfect dish to satisfy everyone at the dinner table.
There’s something so simple and satisfying about a classic bowl of creamy alfredo pasta. It’s comforting, rich, and indulgent — perfect for a cozy night in!
Alfredo is sacred here on The Cheese Knees. There was on incident when one of our husbands came home with a store-bought jar of alfredo and was almost exiled from the house.
What’s In Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Recipe
With classic ingredients like chicken breast, penne pasta, broccoli florets, garlic, heavy whipping cream, and grated parmesan, this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Each ingredient brings its own unique flavor and texture to the table.
We chose boneless, skinless chicken breasts for their tenderness and versatility, making them the perfect protein for this dish. The penne pasta adds a satisfying chewiness, while the creamy alfredo sauce has a rich base of garlic and heavy whipping cream that is balanced out with the subtle tang of grated parmesan cheese. It’s pure comfort food at its finest!
Variations and Substitutions
Chicken breast: If chicken thighs are more your thing, go for it! It’ll taste just as delicious. Chicken thighs aren’t as easy to overcook, too!
Penne pasta: We used penne pasta, but any pasta can be used in this recipe. Use your fav!
Broccoli florets: Frozen broccoli can be used in place of fresh broccoli. Just keep in mind that the cooking process will vary slightly. Check out our tips below to learn more.
Tasty additions: This chicken broccoli alfredo pasta would be even more decadent with some basil pesto or sundried tomatoes added to the sauce. You could also give it some heat with a pinch of red pepper flakes, your favorite hot sauce, or some chopped jalapeños.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- We used this Italian Seasoning, which has salt in it. If you use one that does not have salt, add up to 1 teaspoon when seasoning the chicken.
- Frozen broccoli can be subbed in this recipe. Follow the cooking instructions in Step 2, but wait to add it back in until Step 6. During step 2, it may take 1-2 minutes less cooking time.
- To avoid your chicken from sticking to your pan, allow the chicken to reach room temperature once out of the fridge.
Storage + Freezer Directions
Place any leftover broccoli chicken alfredo recipe in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To freeze, place leftover chicken broccoli alfredo in a freezer-safe, airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Recipes Like Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
If you were licking your plate after this one (who wouldn’t!), we’ve got a whole slew of other delicious pasta dishes for you to try!
For starters, our Baked Feta Pasta was inspired by the viral TikTok sensation, and trust us, there’s a reason for all the hype! If you’re a mac and cheese fiend, you’ll be OBSESSED with our Loaded Baked Mac and Cheese with Velveeta. Just click the link, and you’ll immediately understand why.
Last but not least, our Dill Pickle Pasta Salad is exactly what your tastebuds are imagining: creamy, tangy, crunchy, and totally addicting. Let us know how you like ’em!
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- 1.25 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated parmesan ~2.5 oz.
- Prepare the chicken breast by cutting it into 1-inch chunks and transferring them to a bowl. Season with Italian seasoning and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the broccoli and sautee for 4-5 minutes or until broccoli is tender, but still has a bite to it. Transfer the broccoli to a plate.
- Return the skillet to the stove over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the chicken. Cook for 8-10 minutes tossing occasionally.
- Add the butter and garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant.
- Next, add the heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and broccoli to the pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
- While the sauce is simmering cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package instructions, for about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to the Alfredo sauce.
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
Tips & Notes
- We used this Italian Seasoning, it has salt in it if you use one that does not have salt add up to 1 teaspoon when seasoning the chicken.
- Frozen broccoli can be subbed in this recipe.
- Follow the cooking instructions in Step 2, but wait to add it back in until Step 6. During step 2 it may take 1-2 minutes less cook time. We used penne pasta, but any pasta can be used in this recipe.