These Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks aren’t your average mozz sticks. This easy air fryer recipe uses classic mozzarella cheese sticks… but with a delicious twist! The bread crumbs are made from crushed cornflakes, giving this cheesy appetizer irresistible sweet and salty flavors with the perfect cheese pull.
All you need to do is set up your breading station with a bowl of flour, a bowl of egg wash, and a bowl of your breadcrumb mixture. Dip your mozzarella string cheese in each, and freeze for about an hour. Once ready to cook, place ’em in your air fryer, and viola — easy air fryer mozzarella sticks! We love this recipe for a super easy game day appetizer that everyone will enjoy.
What’s In Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
These homemade air fryer mozzarella sticks need only a handful of ingredients, which makes preparing them effortless.
We used regular mozzarella sticks (a.k.a. string cheese) for the filling and dipped them in all-purpose flour and beaten eggs to help the breading stick. The breading is a mixture of Italian seasoning, salt, and crushed cornflakes, giving the mozzarella sticks their irresistible crunch and flavor!
Variations and Substitutions
Mozzarella sticks: If you wanna be a bit more fancy, you can use fresh mozzarella cheese instead of the standard string cheese. Cut them into sticks and follow the same breading process. You can also try experimenting with different types of cheese, such as cheddar or pepper jack.
Breadcrumb mixture: If you don’t have cornflakes on hand, you can substitute with panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs. You can also add in some grated parmesan cheese for an extra boost of flavor.
Dipping sauces: These air fryer mozzarella sticks are delicious on their own, but they taste even better dunked in a delicious dipping sauce! Warm marinara sauce, ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, or even honey mustard would all be great picks.
Top Tips for Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- For easy breading, use one hand to coat the mozzarella sticks in flour and egg wash, and the other hand for the breadcrumb mixture. This will prevent your hands from getting too messy!
- Make sure to freeze the breaded mozzarella sticks for at least an hour before cooking. This helps them hold their shape and prevents cheese leakage.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket. Place your mozzarella sticks in an even layer, leaving enough space between them to cook evenly and get the best results.
Storage + Freezer Directions
Store any leftover mozzarella sticks in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze, place air fryer cheese sticks in a freezer-safe, airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 8 mozzarella sticks
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- Add the flour to a shallow bowl. In another, whisk eggs together until smooth. In a third bowl, mix together the salt, Italian seasoning, and cornflakes.
- Dip each mozzarella stick into the flour, followed by the egg and then the cornflakes.
- Once all the sticks have been breaded, place them on a pan and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375℉.
- Spray the mozzarella sticks with cooking spray and air fry for 4 minutes. Be sure none of the sticks are touching.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tips & Notes
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes = 2 cups uncrushed