Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Parmesan Cheese coming right up! Say hello to your new favorite dinner idea. The sauce is made with sun dried tomato pesto, an entire pint of cherry tomatoes, garlic, and a little heavy cream for good measure.
We’ve been all about pasta lately. From mac and cheese, to buttered noodles, to shrimp scampi we just can’t get enough! This easy sun dried tomato pesto pasta is through the roof with flavor and bonus, kid-friendly too!
What does this pasta taste like? This is the perfect savory pasta. It really takes on the flavor of the sun dried tomato pesto you use, so choose wisely. It’s also got a hint of parmesan and garlic.
How to Make Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
Here’s a quick guide on how to make this cheesy, delicious pasta dish!
Step 1: Choose your noodle
Are you a noodle lover like us? GREAT! Good news for you is that you can use pretty much any noodle your heart desires. We went with rigatoni, but here are some more options. Just remember, you’ll need about 0oz. pasta.
- angel hair
- bow ties
To make your pasta, bring water, olive oil, and salt to a boil. Once boiling, add in the pasta. Check the back of your pasta box for the proper cook time. Cook until al dente.
Make sure to reserve 1/3 cup of pasta water for the sauce. You DON’T want to skip this part!
Step 2: Make the sauce
This sun dried tomato pesto pasta is all about the sauce!
Add olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, and onion to the pan and cook over medium/high heat. The goal here is to cook down the tomatoes. Next, add in sun dried tomato pesto (you can use your favorite kind) and continue cooking. Finally, add in pasta water and heavy cream and stir.
Want more sauce? Feel free to either double this recipe OR- add more pasta water and cream.
Step 3: Add noodles and cheese
Finally, add in cooked noodles and parmesan cheese and give it a good mix. Let cook for a few minutes so that the cheese can melt.
Serve immediately with fresh parsley and toasted pin nuts.
Store pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
To reheat: place pasta on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 60-90 seconds.
Sun-Dried Tomato Parmesan Pasta
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 oz. uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- 1/4 medium yellow onion sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 6.7 oz. sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/3 cup pasta water
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 oz. shredded parmesan cheese + more for topping
- Optional toppings: cracked pepper parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, and toasted pine nuts
- Fill a large stockpot with 4 quarts of water. Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add pasta. Cook pasta according to the pasta package. Make sure to save ⅓ cup of the pasta water for the sauce. Then, strain and set aside for later.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the olive oil is fragrant, add cherry tomatoes, garlic, onion, and a pinch of salt. Sauté over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until tomatoes begin to cook down.
- Turn heat down to low, add sundried tomato pesto and continue to cook down for 2-4 minutes over low heat.
- Add 1/3 cup of pasta water to the sauce and stir. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. Then, add heavy cream and stir again.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Finally, add shredded parmesan cheese to the pasta and mix. Let cook for 1-2 more minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh cracked pepper, parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, and toasted pine nuts.