Say hello to the most delicious blueberry cream cheese muffins you’ve ever seen. These blueberry muffins are made with a simple cream cheese filling, making them extra decadent!
This recipe was retested per a negative review on April 17, 2023, and no changes were needed.
Favorite Cream Cheese Muffins
We’ve never met a muffin we didn’t like and we’re super excited for you guys to try these delicious blueberry cream cheese muffins!
They’re made with classic ingredients but aren’t too sweet. Plus, you’re going to die over the easy cream cheese filling.
Easy Ingredients for Cream Cheese Muffins
You probably already have all of these ingredients in your pantry, so let’s get started!
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- sour cream
Can I use frozen blueberries?
Absolutely yes! Both fresh and frozen blueberries work for this recipe.
Best Cream Cheese Filling for Muffins
As you know, these blueberry muffins are actually blueberry CREAM CHEESE muffins. They’re triple-layered with a cream cheese filling.
- cream cheese (any kind works!)
- maple syrup (option to sub honey)
- milk (any kind works!)
The cream cheese filling should be thick enough to hold shape, but thin enough to spread out just a bit!
How to soften cream cheese
Looking for a quick method to soften cream cheese? Check out our post – How to Soften Cream Cheese – 4 Ways! Here you’ll learn 4 unique (and quick!) methods to soften cream cheese to the perfect amount for baking and cooking.
#1 Tip – Thick Batter
As you’re mixing together your cream cheese blueberry muffins, you’ll notice that your batter is pretty thick. This is OKAY! You want your batter to be thick. If you’re feeling like it’s wayyyy too thick, feel free to add another splash of milk!
How Long to Bake Muffins
Preheat your oven to 350ºF and then make sure to spray your muffin tin with cooking spray or line it with muffin liners.
Bake your muffins for 20-22 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.
Pro tip: use a toothpick to see if the center of your muffin is done. Make sure not to mistake the cream cheese filling with the doneness of your muffin.
Take things up a notch and swap out the blueberries to give this muffin a whole different vibe. Try:
Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1.5 tablespoons milk any kind
- Start by preheating the oven to 350ºF and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or place liners into the muffin tin.
- Then, prepare the cream cheese filling. Place cream cheese, maple syrup, and milk into a bowl and mix well until combined. Set aside for later.
- Next, mix together all of the dry ingredients (except for the blueberries) in medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- Then cream butter and sugar by placing softened butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar into a large bowl and cream them together on low using a stand or held mixer. Mix until there are no more lumps and everything is smooth.
- Then, crack eggs into the butter and sugar mixture and mix on low until combined.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla, and milk, to the butter mixture and mix on low until all ingredients are combined together.
- Carefully spoon 1/3 cup of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients at a time while mixing on low to allow the dry ingredients to be completely combined into the wet ingredients before adding another 1/3 cup. Repeat until all of the dry ingredients have been added to the wet ingredients.
- Finally, fold blueberries into the muffin batter.
- Assemble the blueberry cream cheese muffins by placing 2 tablespoons of muffin batter on the bottom of each muffin cup.
- From there, add one tablespoon of the cream cheese filling to each muffin cup.
- Finally, add 2 more tablespoons of muffin batter to each muffin cup covering the cream cheese filling. The muffins should be 3/4 of the way full.
- Gently shake the muffin tray so the muffin batter evens out and place the muffin pan in the oven.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes and then remove them from the muffin tin and allow the muffins to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Tips & Notes
- This recipe was modified on 3/30/2022. The filling was cut in half.