These pizza soft pretzels are such a fun snack to make that the whole family will enjoy. Top them with your favorite pizza toppings!
Pizza + Pretzels
Pizza and pretzels, two of my husband’s favorite things!
What You Need
The base to these pizza soft pretzels is a classic soft pretzel recipe made from super basic ingredients. What makes them “pizza” is their toppings.
- Active dry yeast (+ warm water)
- All-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Baking soda
Is there anything more delicious than pepperoni pizza? Here are the toppings you need:
Mozzarella cheese: mozzarella cheese is the most popular cheese found on pizza, so it’s just fitting to have it on these pretzels!
Pepperoni: pepperoni is great because they come in mini size and add so much flavor!
- Activate Yeast: First, activate your yeast by mixing it with warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix Dough: Combine yeast, flour, and salt and mix until a shaggy dough forms. Then, nead for 2-4 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Let Dough Sit: Transfer dough into an oiled bowl and allow to rise for 2 hours.
- Make Pretzels: Separate dough into 8 sections. Then, roll each ball into a 15″ rope and form your pretzels.
- Boil Pretzels: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and slowly add baking soda. Boil pretzels one at a time for 45 seconds and transfer to a parthcment lined baking sheet.
- Add Pozza Toppings: Brush pretzels with beaten eggs and then top with cheese and pepperonis.
- Bake Pretzels: Bake pretzels at 425ºF for 20-22 minutes.
Make these soft pretzels your own with all of your favorite pizza toppings! Here are some ideas:
- Pesto + goat cheese
- sausage + oregano
- mozzarella cheese + fresh basil
Don’t forget about the dipping sauce! We suggest warm marinara sauce, but you can also go pesto or olive oil.
We suggest storing your pizza soft pretzels in the fridge. They will last for up to 2-3 days.
To reheat, microwave on high for 60 seconds or heat in the oven on 350ºF for around 5-10 minutes.
Can I freeze these?
These soft pretzels are such a great snack to freeze for later!
- Let your preztels cool completely.
- Then, tightly wrap each soft pretzel in tin foil.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Pizza Soft Pretzels
- 1 cup warm water about 110ºF
- 1 packet 2 ¼ teaspoons active-dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg beaten with a splash of water
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup pepperoni
- Marinara sauce to dip (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the warm water and active dry yeast. Allow the mixture to sit for five minutes, or until the yeast is foamy and fragrant.
- Next, stir in the flour and salt. Mix until a shaggy dough forms-- I like to use a dough whisk for this part but a wooden spoon would work as well.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic-- about 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and allow it to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size-- about 2 hours.
- After the dough has risen, preheat your oven to 425ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the dough has risen, turn it out again onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope (about 15” long) and then form a U shape. Cross the two ends of the U and then fold them back over the bottom to create a pretzel. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and slowly add the baking soda (if you add it all at once, it will boil over).
- Add the pretzels one at a time and boil for 45 seconds. Remove the boiled pretzel to the parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Brush the boiled pretzels with the beaten egg and top each one with shredded mozzarella and pepperonis.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the pretzels are golden brown and the cheese has fully melted.
- Enjoy warm, with a side of marinara sauce. Store any leftover pretzels in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.