The easiest parmesan cheese crisps you’ll ever make. These parmesan crisps are made with 1 main ingredient and are the best low-carb snack ever!
Enjoy these parmesan chips as a low-carb snack or salad/soup topper for some extra crunch.
Parmesan Cheese Crisps – The Low Down
Cheese lovers unite because these homemade parmesan crisps are 100% cheese. #yourewelcome
At just 100 calories per serving, parmesan crisps are seriously the perfect low-carb snack that you’ll want to munch on all day long.
These parmesan crisps are:
- Made with 1 ingredient
- 100 calories/serving
- Keto and paleo-friendly
- Naturally gluten-free
- Low in sugar
- 7g protein/serving
What You Need for Parmesan Chips
The main ingredient in parmesan crisps is –> parmesan cheese! Actually, it’s really the only ingredient you need.
For this recipe, you’ll need 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Both grated and shredded work really well, so use what you have on hand.
In addition to parmesan cheese, we recommend using your favorite spice blend to give your parmesan cheese crisps some extra flavor. Here are some options:
- Spices: Everything Bagel Seasoning, Red Pepper Flakes, Freshly Ground Black Pepper, Homemade Cajun Seasoning, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, etc.
- Fresh herbs: chop up whole herbs such as basil, thyme, rosemary, or parsley and sprinkle them on top of hte cheese before baking.
A little goes a long way with seasonings. Add around 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of seasoning per cup of parmesan cheese. Alternatively, you can sprinkle seasoning right on top of each crisp before baking.
Cheeses We Tested
Since there are lots of different kinds of parmesan cheese (and not ust shredded cheese), here’s the rundown of what we tested:
Grated parmesan: grated parmesan cheese will create little round disks that do not have many airy holes in them.
Store-bought shredded parmesan: this is what we used in the photographs of this recipe. You’ll see that they come out airy and holey.
Freshly shredded parmesan: freshly shredded parm works just like store-bought, but you’ll use a cheese grater or food processor to do so.
How to Make Parmesan Crisps
- Preheat: First, preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Parchment paper is extremely important. If you don’t use it, your parmesan cheese crisps will stick!
- Mix: Mix together parmesan cheese and whatever seasoning you wish to use.
- Scoop: Scoop about 1 tablespoon worth of parmesan cheese and make 2-inches in diameter piles of cheese on your baking sheet. It should be a thin layer of cheese that is the same thickness throughout. You should get around 16 parmesan crisps, so you will need to use 2 baking sheets. The crisps will NOT spread out during baking.
- Bake:Bake at 400ºF for about 6-8 minutes, watching very closely. When the parmesan cheese melts and turns golden brown, remove it from the oven immediately.
- Cool: Immediately remove the parmesan crisps from the parchment paper and set them on a cooling rack to cool for at least 10 minutes to fully harden.
Are parmesan crisps healthy?
Parmesan crisps are a healthy, low-carb snack that are made with 1 ingredient. Parmesan cheese crisps are 100 calories/serving and have 5g protein/serving.
Do parmesan cheese crisps spread in the oven?
Parmesan cheese crisps will not spread in the oven, so you can bake them close together.
How many carbs are in parmesan crisps?
There are around 3 carbs/serving in parmesan cheese crisps.
Why are my cheese crisps soggy?
The reason why your cheese crisps are soggy is because you likely didn’t bake them long enough or let them cool long enough. Bake your cheese crisps until the the cheese is fully melted and begins to turn golden brown. Let them cool long enough to harden.
While we love eating parmesan cheese crisps on their own as a snack, you can absolutely pair them with any of the following:
- Soups: top your lasagna soup with these crunchy cheesy crackers.
- Salad: parmesan crisps make for an excellent crouton replacement. Try them on a Caesar salad, goat cheese salad or arugula salad.
Let your parmesan crisps recipe cool completely. Then, transfer them into an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (grated works too)
- ½ – 1 teaspoon seasoning (everything bagel seasoning, fresh black pepper, red pepper flakes)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the parmesan cheese to a bowl and add in your seasoning of your choice. Stir until combined.
- Using a tablespoon as your scoop, scoop the parmesan cheese mixture onto the parchment paper and spread it out into a thin, even circle that is about 2 inches in diameter. It should be a thin layer of cheese that is the same thickness throughout. Repeat until there are multiple parmesan crisps on the baking sheet. Be sure the parmesan rounds do not touch (they won’t expand).
- Place in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes or until the parmesan cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately remove the crips from the parchment paper and set them on a cooling rack. Let cool for at least 10 minutes to completely harden before eating.
- Serve like a cracker and top with your favorite toppings or dip.
Tips & Notes
- If you use a tablespoon as your scoop, 1 serving of parmesan crisps is 4 parmesan crisps.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 105 Sugar: 0 Fat: 7 Carbohydrates: 3 Fiber: 0 Protein: 7
Keywords: parmesan cheese crisps, parmesan crisps