Add these cream cheese mashed potatoes to your holiday menu! They’re super creamy, flavorful and ready to serve in under 30 minutes.
The BEST Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
These super creamy cream cheese mashed potatoes are the ultimate mashed taters. You boil your potatoes, mash, add cream cheese, give them a stir and serve! THEY ARE SO GOOD, and so easy.
why you’ll love ’em!
5 ingredients! All you need for these cream cheese mashed potatoes are 5 simple ingredients.
Super creamy: If you’ve never tried cream cheese in mashed taters — now’s your chance!
Fast prep: These cream cheese mashed potatoes are ready to serve in under half an hour 😀
- Russet potatoes: We used classic russet potatoes for this recipe! You really can use whatever type of potato you would like.
- Cream cheese: The cream cheese in this recipe makes the potatoes creamy, tart, and delicious.
- Unsalted butter: The butter will melt right into your mashed taters — yum!
- Salt & pepper: A sprinkle of each is all you need!
How to Make Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Add the peeled and chunked potatoes to a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 10-15 minutes. When the potatoes are fork tender, drain and add the potatoes back into the pot.
Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until all of the pieces are broken up.
Stir in cream cheese, butter & spices
Add the cream cheese, butter, salt, and pepper to the pot and mix together.
Serve & enjoy!
Serve immediately, and enjoy!
We recommend keeping your mashed potatoes simple and serving them with butter, salt, and pepper.
Milk helps to create a creamy consistency in mashed potatoes. In this recipe, we’re using cream cheese for the same effect.
Boiling potatoes is best for mashing because it adds moisture and is faster.
Transfer cooled mashed potatoes into an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
Can you freeze mashed potatoes? While we recommend fresh mashed potatoes over frozen, you can freeze them. Transfer them into a freezer-safe gallon-size bag and remove as much air as possible. Then, seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes peeled and chunked
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the peeled and chunked potatoes to a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 10-15 minutes. When the potatoes are fork tender, drain and add the potatoes back into the pot.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until all of the pieces are broken up.
- Next, add the cream cheese, butter, salt, and pepper to the pot and mix together.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- We used russet potatoes, but any Yukon gold or red potatoes could be substituted. Those potatoes do not need to be peeled.